Samsung dishwasher has drain pump too small to work properly

In my opinion, you already stated the problem in terms of your drain hose being 6-7' long. That extra water sitting in the hose is too much for the pump that is designed for a standard horizontal run of about 12". In addition, when the pump stops, the water in the vertical rise falls back and pushes all that water in your horizontal run back into the dishwasher. I think if you install a larger diameter hose there will be even more water in the hose putting more pressure on the pump and making the problem worse.

Reply to
Ed Samson

If that's the case, then a high loop close to the dishwasher should solve it. Any pump has to be able to handle lifting it up several feet, it's part of code to have a high loop. From there it would be downhill to the drain and certainly water will easily flow 7 feet through a 1/2" hose. I'm betting the problem was a bad pump that finally failed.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks Ed and TraDER 4. Interesting insight where samsung is insisting on an up-hose being fitted before they will replace the drain pump.

The length of time and number of recurrences before finally failing would seem to point to the pump being at fault throughout.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Up hose is easy, if the existing hose is long enough all you have to do is get it up high after it leaves the dishwasher, should be as high as the top of the sink that it's connected to, if possible, and clamp or tie it there.

Reply to
trader_4

Interesting development: The most recent tech people sent out by the retailer notes a point Samsung missed. There IS an up-pipe here! It just isn't easily seen. And the warning light on HEAVY now flashes even when the unit is turned off! Leading him to report back to that retailer that this unit now needs to be exchanged.

MIND YOU, Samsung are still in theory scheduled to come tomorrow to fix it. I'll bet they wont show up. They have already prepared the groundwork for not showing up by pretending that there is no warranty any more on account of the infestation. (Yes, this is AFTER their own tech guy came around and noted that there never was any infestation!!)

Reply to
DManzaluni