Samsung dishwasher has drain pump too small to work properly

We have an abysmal Samsung dishwasher on which we have called out PC Richards about a half dozen times in the 9 months since it was installed.

Finally yesterday they sent repairman who knew what he was doing and he identified the problem as the drain pump being too small on their newer dishwashers.

Because it may not have been within his terms of reference, we couldnt get him to commit himself on which companies today’s DON'T have this not powerful enough drain pump. He kinda implied that all companies use this pump these days.

He showed me how to drain the dishwasher manually to obviate this problem. But draining manually doesn't really solve anything because during its cycle, the dishwasher drains and refills itself improperly a few times with dirty water!

Samsung know enough about this problem to send technicians out to deny their warranty when the unit was a few months old! (the Samsung guy pretended to take photos of a supposed bug infestation, - which existed only to deny the warranty! EIGHT MONTHS LATER, still no bugs have been seen in the flat

Does anyone out there know enough about this problem to identify a manufacturer that uses a proper pump please?

Reply to
DManzaluni

I think you are trying to say it does not empty the old water fully and then fills.

My house came with a GE four years ago and works well. Before that, KitchenAid was great.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

yes, but who makes them TODAY? I also used to have GEs, Profiles, Bosches, Maytags etc that worked.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Consumer Reports doesn't mention the specific issue of drain pumps. Top 3 24" dishwashers. Ratings are based on reliability, washing, drying, and energy use. Thermador DWHD650WFM Score 83. $1400 Thermador DWHD650WFM Score 81. $2299 Bosch 300 Series SHEM63W55N Score 79. $999 All of the ones above score 4/5 on washing. Reliability is 5/5. Washing. Ikea Essentiell (80.655.85) Score 77. $700. Reliability. 4/5 Café CDT805P2NS1 Score 74. $1073 Reliability. 3/5 GE GDT226SSLSS Score 73. $647 Reliability. 3/5 These 3 are rated 5/5 for washing.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

meaning that only the most expensive now rate a mention! That's a bit depressing!

Reply to
DManzaluni

We've had a GE model GDT655SGJBB since 2018 that has performed flawlessly. Very quiet operation, stainless steel interior, lots of operating options. Only option missing is a stand-alone rinse cycle. However, we don't pre-rinse our dishes or run the machine until it is completely full (approx every 3-4 days. Despite that, everything gets clean. We're totally satisfied. Don't know if they still make this model but if they do, it's worth considering.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

This one is cheaper and still has a 5/5 rating for cleaning. Frigidaire GDPH4515AF. Score. 54. $499. Reliability. 3/5. Energy use is apparently a big thing in CR's ratings.

I was going to ask the same thing as Bob about plugged drain lines and such. Did your previous dishwasher have the same issue? How is the filter?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I doubt this is the OP's problem, but I like telling the story.

MY DW wouldn't drain and it turned out that the little bone that runs along the drumstick got stuck in the air-break, that is next to the water faucet on some sinks. After I removed it, everything was fine.

Reply to
micky

You are right: The line between the dishwasher and the drain is a few feet too long and it is only a half inch piping: so ALL my earlier dishwashers worked properly because they had a stronger drain pump. If you disconnect that hose, the Samsung will drain into a bucket. It snot that the drain pump doesn't work, it is just not strong enough.

That is why I asked if anyone knew any unit with an older pump, not if anyone knew of a reliable dishwasher that reviewed well and got a good cleaning rating.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Ah ha ... I think I see the problem now - - you have improper drain piping, so you blame the appliance manufacturer ... Gotcha. Over & out. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I imagine you've looked at online appliance repair parts sites for something. Would those older pumps fit your dishwasher? Another suggestion would be to put a check valve on the discharge line to prevent backfeed. Lastly, could you add some sort of pump in series behind the existing discharge pump? Put it in the discharge hose as closely as you can to the dishwasher. Wire it to come on when the discharge pump is working.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, I had wondered about that one! But the less competent repairmen have told me i need a plumber to do that as they aren't plumbers.

And as to the other points, I did get an 8 year warranty that I am a bit reluctant to screw with! My view is that what is needed is another dishwasher with a strong enough drainpump. If strong enough, i may well even have the effect of flushing the pipes!

Reply to
DManzaluni

And I was indeed wondering about how anything is getting past the filter into the pipes to need flushing out!

Reply to
DManzaluni

I see the problem. Snot is more difficult to pump than water. Viscosity matters

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think the repairmen are clueless. Don't you think that DW manufacturers tested the machines? Would they intentionally put in a pump that does not get all the water out?

If you cannot do it yourself, get a handyman to hook up a garden hose to the drain hose to flush it out. It is not plumbing, no codes or inspections involved.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You don't want to sacrifice the warranty, but you're willing to get another dishwasher? Then you'll have a warrnanty on a dishwasher you're not using!

Also, I don't think most of the suggestions affect the waranty. Others will know but the drain pipe is not part of the DW afaik. If you connected a smaller diameter pipe, they could reasonably think you overloaded the pump, but a larger diameter pipe makes its life easier.

Well, if they can make waterless hand cleaner, they can make drainless dishwashers!

Reply to
micky

All good questions. If all these units had that problem there would be a whole lot of units involved. I would suspect something unique to the installation or usage. It doesn't take much of a pump to pump out water and lift it a few feet.

Reply to
trader_4

Grease gets past it and could build up. How long is this drain hose, how does it run particularly in height and what does it connect to? Snaking it out would be on my list and making sure whatever it feeds into isn't clogged and backing up to.

Reply to
trader_4

The Samsung Dishwasher is to the right of an LG washing machine and the sink is to the left of that washing machine. The pipe is half inch and runs for about 6-7 feet. This set up has drained numerous GE, Maytag, Profile, Bosch dishwashers over the 25 years we have lived here. The repairman identified the problem as the manuf using a too small pump in their units nowadays. he then wrote a report saying this setup can work if we get a plumber in to replace all the pipes!

I think it is relevant that he also said that with this samsung, all dishes have to be rinsed and meticulously cleaned before putting in the dishwasher. AND he started taking photos of tiny bits of rice floating in the water.

AS IF THE FILTER ISN'T WORKING PROPERLY! Not only does it not trap this 'rice', it seems to be pushing it past the filter into the pipe!

Oh, and the outer arm nozzles are also perennially blocked. with this stuff not caught by the filter.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Not much point in having a dishwasher if one has to do the cleaning by hand before it goes in the dishwasher. Consumer Reports says several dishwashers they tested do a good job of washing the dishes. That would lead me to believe the problem isn't industry wide. Their report was updated in December 2022. A couple dishwashers rated 3/5 for cleaning but they weren't Samsung. It looked like most rated 4/5. My clothes washer empties into about an 1 1/2" open pipe with a trap. There's no back pressure against the pump other than what's in the clothes washer hose. That should be minimal.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman