Salvage shower head?

My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what they cost.

Suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Soak in white vinegar for a couple hours.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

if its a spray wand with hose the hose is bad.they look fine on the outside, but the inner hose obstructs and decreases flow slowly over time

Reply to
bob haller

bob haller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, it's just a rigid head on a rigid water line. I prefer that type.

Reply to
KenK

If it is an older head, I would clean it and put it back on. These 2 gpm new heads are terrible!

Reply to
Mr.E

And it's VERY easy to drill them out to get a decent spray .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

+2
Reply to
ChairMan

As others said, vinegar.

As to cost, it depends...you could spend $10 or you could spend $100s. IMO, about the nicest around is the Speakman Anystream.

dadiOH

Lime away does a great job on them.

Reply to
gfretwell

CLR, or even vinegar. DON'T use HCL.

Reply to
clare

I've heard of people using a bag of vinegar. Tie it on like an old nose bag for horse. Not sure if this works, but might.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WHAT might GO wrong, USING HCL as a SHOWER head CLEANER?

- . Christopher A. YOUNG learn MORE about Jesus .

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-OK Class Clown. Hydrochloric acid can badly pit the finish and disolve zinc (pot metal) parts commonly used to make things like shower heads.. It will also strip chrome from brass. Using Hydrochloric acid to remove lime scale from chromed plumbing fixtures is an extremely stupid thing to even consider, much less recommend.

Reply to
clare

I've had several Speakman showerheads and they're great. Just recently got one of their 2.5gpm Reaction models (they also make a 2.0gpm model), and it's plenty powerful:

If you're not picky about the model, you can get some nice deals from them periodically on heavily-discounted units. They send out email announcements when a sale is on - not sure how to sign up for those as I think I opted in during checkout for a previous purchase.

Reply to
Dave Garrett

CLR will do the job fine though you should check in any event that someone hasnt put a stupid flow limiter in there which has become clogged over time.

If it is a flow limiter, just yank it out. You will fins showers go about three times as quick with no water limiter in there!

If you have this hard water, you will of course need to repeat relatively often.

Reply to
DManzaluni

FrozenNorth wrote in news:mfopv7$k6o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Took a little longer than that but worked perfectly! Thanks much!

Reply to
KenK

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:4c9Uw.161259$ snipped-for-privacy@fx25.iad:

I used an empty bottle to hold the vinegar. Worked fine!

Reply to
KenK

zinc metal that is often used. Makes sense, now.] Using Hydrochloric acid to remove lime

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren wrote in news:8av5ialmse355c2gov1es0qbsuaoc832h2@

4ax.com:

Yes. Ended up scraping like hell! Pan survived. I may.

Reply to
KenK

I wonder if a power washer would dislodge the calcium scale?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon