Running a Garden Hose 16.8 Miles.....

And yet all 3 of you read the thread and responded ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

One looks at a topographic map. USGS is one source.

Reply to
dadiOH

You assume wrong. I read all I needed to in the subject line

Reply to
ChairMan

Most of the country has been mapped out as to the altitude. I can get on the county tax map and get contour lines and satalite pix of the house I live in.

See if your county web page has a GIS map program .

Some, maybe all or most all of the GPS units will have a screen where the altitude can be read. It does not seem to be near as accurate as the horizontal position.

Years ago I ordered from the government some maps that had the contour lines on it. The local library may have some, or a small local airport may be able to help with the maps.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That isn't true. At some given pressure and some hose length, the friction of the hose is great enough that the water effectively forms a plug and the pressure will be X at the source end and 0 at the far end.

Reply to
trader_4

To answer several questions, we dont know the well depth, but it's at least 100ft. I know when my own well pump died, it was impossible to lift the steel pipes and pump even with my tractor loader. I had a company do the job, which was costly, but my pump is down 370ft. The old pump was 38 years old according to the label on it.

For this guy, I did try another capacitor. I have a few spare pump control boxes on hand, so we tried all of that. Either his pump is dead, or there's a broken wire somewhere down in the well.

I suggested he ask his neighbors if he can run a hose to their house until he can get someone to pull his well. He said he would. However, I told him he needs to disconnect his well tank and either add a valve, or cap off that pipe. Otherwise the water from the neighbor could be pushed back down into his well. (I think that could happen)..... If he gets the neighbors water, I told him I'd come and sweat a valve in his copper pipe for him tomorrow, but I think he's only going to ask them if he can haul buckets, because it's still cold enough that a hose could freeze up, and his neighbor is quite a distance away, so it would take at least

8 hoses.

He's hoping he can get a well company tomorrow.... I recommended the guys that did my well. I was pleased with their work.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Did you install triple A memory battery in it, 'You Full'

A friend of mine lives 16.8 miles from me. His well pump appears to have died. I went there and checked it for him, and there is power going to the submersible pump, but no water coming out. I also popped off the well cover and can not hear any sound, where a pump can usually be heard.

I told him that he need to get a well driller, or plumber who can pull the pump.

Anyhow, I was just joking around, when I told him that he's welcome to run a garden hose from my house to his place. We got to laughing about this, and said it would probably take at least 500 50ft hoses.

It turns out I was way off..... On my way home, I watched the odometer. He's 16.8 miles away. That's 88,704 feet. (roughly 1775 50ft garden hoses).

Anyhow, this is just nonsense, but I was thinking about it, and wonder if there would be any pressure at the end of 1775 hoses. First off, the hoses would have to go thru culverts so they were not driven over. Then the hose would be going up and down a lot of hills and valleys, in this case, the hose would have to cross a large river, which in itself could be a problem. But like I said, this is just nonsense, but I am wondering if there would be any pressure? I sort of doubt it.

I've already connected SEVEN 50ft hoses (350ft) when I had frozen hydrants, and needed to get water to my animals, and I could notice a considerable slowing of the water, and its pressure.

Anyhow, just for grins, is there any way to calculate water pressure thru a 5/8" garden hose per foot? And just to mention it, my pressure tank gauge varies from 35 to 50lbs.

Reply to
Tony944

When the water is not moving. When it is moving pressure is lower at the far end. Same as with electricity. E = IR, where I = flow, R = resistance (which he should be able to measure with his seven 350-foot hoses) and E = pressure.

That raises an interesting question. When the water is only a foot from the supply, it hasn't run into much friction, but the flow is the same as the water that's 16 miles from the supply. Almost like it sent scouts ahead and found out about all the friction along the way.

Reply to
Micky

You don't have a USGS topo map of your place?

Actually, there are web sites to do that. I just googled for "find the elevation", google suggested "find the elevation of my house", and a number of promising links were returned.

My house is at 827 feet.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

What pressure will the water in the hose be at when he runs it

500 miles or 6+ miles to your house?
Reply to
trader_4

I hope he never comes within 500 miles of my house.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

The water at the far end of the hose is slowed down by excessive friction.

The water near the beginning of the hose is slowed down by the hose being blocked (by the slow water at the far end).

Does that make sense?

Reply to
Sam E

Thanks for the suggestion. The google one says my house is at 490 feet, but all the maps put my house on a street 2 blocks up the hill, so I'm probably at 470. My friend 10 miles away is at 560. I thought she'd be higher, so I have to update my impression of the terrain.

Reply to
Micky

Of course he isn't interested in the altitude of either hourse, He wants the elevation difference. For that one way way would be two calibrated barometers or altimeters..

Reply to
Harry K

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 9:18:03 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote :

Back when I had a well drilled to get off the community well but I kept the interconnect "just in case". Two yiears ago I had a major leak. I'll just go on the community well. Then face/palm. I had not had a valve installe d. Coast me around $100 to get one put in before I had water again. Would have been a few bucks at the time of installation. Well driller found the leak just above the pump - galvanic corrosion had eaten a galvanized drop p ipe.

Reply to
Harry K

or run a 14 mile water level.

Reply to
taxed and spent

If you don't have a smart phone, borrow one. There are free elevation apps that use GPS and/or location. Even if they aren't 100% accurate as far as true elevation, hopefully any error is consistent when used to find the

*difference* between the elevation of 2 locations.

For more confidence, download multiple free apps and use them all. Hopefully the differences between the 2 locations will be the same.

In other words, if x1-y1 (from app1) and x2-y2 (from app2) both equal z, you can be fairly confident that the difference in elevation is a usable value.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Very interesting.

Reply to
Micky

Might be able to get some clear tubes to put on the ends of the garden hose. Since you're running a 16.8 mile garden hose. Why duplicate effort?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

uh, that is what I meant. duh!

Reply to