Roofing Vent Pipe question

Had the roof redone and finally got up to take a look at the job....it's a local company with a good reputation. Heck, I even knew people who have worked there now and again.

Anyway, what is the standard with the vent pipes from the various drain fixtures. The roofers put new flashing, etc. around them and I think put some new sort of something or others around the pipes (real specific here, aren't I???).

But the pipes don't have any screens at the top. Now, honestly, I don't think the old pipes did either, but just checking.....no screens needed, right?

Reply to
timbirr

No screens normally needed. However, birds and squirrels have been known to drop in and birds have been known to build a nest on the top and drop a lot of junk down the pipe with the whole nest sometimes sliding down. It is rare but has happened. They do make a mushroom cap that fits over the top to prevent drop-ins while still allowing the vent to function fully. I have never seen a screen made to fit the vent pipe.

Reply to
EXT

No screens allowed, IIRC. You don't want vapor forming on a screen and freezing, or leaves clogging it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OP here again.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. The mushroom caps sound interesting, but now that you have confirmed that the pipes are not normally screens, I guess I've live dangerously. LOL>

As I said, I was pretty sure I've never seen the vents screens, but you know I never really paid much attention before....

Reply to
timbirr