Replacing old garage door remote

Because, even though I've changed the remote code a couple of times, my garage door has recently opened "by itself" several times, I bought a Genie Intellicode replacement remote opener. I'm supposed to deactivate the current radio. My current apparatus is combined Sears unit with a button to open the door directly and a radio to respond to the remote. A photo is at

I'm supposing that the upper part, the part that's opened out in the photo, is the radio. The pushbutton is underneath it. If I snip the two red wires, will that deactivate the radio while leaving the pushbutton operational?

Is there any reason why what I'm trying to do won't work?

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

Rather than snip the red wires, you could pull the white connector away from the board to which it is connected. Lift "up" as if the board is horizontal and it will come off.

That way, someday you might give the thing to someone who lives farther away from other garage door openers than it seems you do. I think they are what are opening the door.

But nothing about what I said is meant to say that that will help you. I really know nothing more about openers than what I've said.

Reply to
mm

Before I wrote I did try pulling it to see if it would come off, but it didn't, and I didn't want to pull harder for fear it was fastened there and not meant to be removed, and I didn't want to damage the board. I'll give it another try.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

My door used to open by itself, like when the weather changed or it got hot, it was only the travel adjustment , this was what was recommended I try from Tech support which guided me through the adjustment. I bet your issue is not the remote but something else like mine.

Reply to
ransley

Same here. Old garage, old concrete floor that is cracked -up/down- with weather changes. Had to ease off the down limit pressure.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Wow. If that's the problem, then replacing the remote sure won't fix it. But, um--what does a travel adjustment look like? It's an old Sears opener; I wouldn't know whom to call for tech support.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

"Harlan Messinger" wrote

There are two travel adjustments, one for up, one for down. They are either a knob or a screw that must be turned. They should be marked.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks to you and everyone, this confirms what I just found: there's a website at

that has all kinds of product manuals stored as PDFs. For my opener it has the following. Now I wish I hadn't spent money on the new remote (which I've already completely removed from the box).

ADJUST DOOR FORCE: Determine that door force is not excessive in down direction.. Grasp the door handle or the bottom of the door as it is about halfway through downward travel. Normally the door should reverse by this action. If it is hard to hold, or doesn't reverse, loosen the clown force screw one turn at a time until the door reverses normally. This means it will not reverse at the end of a travel cycle, and will reverse when moderately obstructed. A. Adjustment screws are near center of upper chassis flanges as illustrated. "Close" force screw is on the right sicle (facing door)° "Open" force screw is on left side. Refer to labels next to screws. Turn clockwise by half turns until door opens and closes without reversing B Tighten adjustment screws an added half turn to allow for climatic changes.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

Mine had maybe 3 adjustments, up and down travel and force, I forget what I adjusted but it worked. For years this would happen usually on the hottest days maybe once a week or month. One other thing ive had happen is a sticking remote, when it sticks it reopens when I leave, luckily mine has a light on the remote so now I check to be sure the light is off, I used to keep it attached to the visor but I cant see the light when its on the visor so now I just put it in a dash holder and pull it out so I can see the Led light. Going out of adjustment is common as structures setttle, hinges, door pins age and expand and contract in different weather

Reply to
ransley

The newer style remote is good for several reasons. First the newer style gives you greater security, and a lot of newer cars come with built in remotes that the new reciever can be trained to use. So if you end up with one of those cars someday you can forget about clamping the remote to you visor.

Also the newer style has accessories like wireless outside coded remotes where you can punch in a code and open your door, very convinent if you want to put away the lawnmower or forget your house keys.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The built in remotes have been able to be cross programmed for probably 26 years as in my case with the Chamberlin. That built in car remote can also be cross programmed to do X10 and probably Smart Home. Ive had the built in GM remote controlling outdoor floods since maybe

1984, you could have the car remote turn on interior house lights, a radio or coffee maker if you wanted, not that a coffee maker is going to help any, but for security turning on extra lights is great. If his is a 3 unit its easy to do from the car, but maybe even 2 button units might have some options since X10 is just RF signal.
Reply to
ransley