Replacement Windows

My wife and I are looking atpurchasing a new home... The home that she has her eye on has older windows - single pane with a storm/screen outer panel.

My question - in Alexandria, Virginia - DC suburb - what is a good per window price to pay for Andersen/Pella windows plus installation? Just looking for a ballpark here - I know that price will vary by size, style, etc...

Reply to
comish4lif

Nobody can say really without seeing the dificulty. Consumer Reports rated apx 20+ windows a good article to read. One thing about Pella is they have a poor Cdf- condensing factor rating compared to Anderson, I have both and a tight house and only my Pellas condense. Before you pay your installer check plumb, level and square , you will have no warranty from day 1 if the installer was not carefull sine most companies have a

1/8" maximum tolerance before the warranty is void.
Reply to
m Ransley

Although not in your area, you might find useful information here:

Rick

Reply to
Rick Shaw

We just got bids on a full house replacement in the DC area. The windows vary in size, but to give you an idea, we're talking about 15 windows, a sliding door, and a bay window about 10 feet across. Total cost for a vinyl company with a good reputation was about $12K. Total cost from Marvin was about $25K. Andersen was more like $22-$23. That's for *wood* windows with vinyl cladding (aluminum cladding for Marvin). The sliding door will typically run 1500-2000. The bay window is 3-4K installed. It sounds like you're looking for a round number to help you evaluate future costs for the house. I would budget $15-20K, depending on whether you're particular about quality or not.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
ccs>ikyr