Pella window problems -- HELP!

We had Pella windows installed in our place -- double-hung, vented removeable pane style.

They suck. They really, really suck. Condensation in cold weather is nasty and sound transmission is abysmal (are the clad sashes on these things hollow????).

The local Pella store recommended starting an "email dialogue" with Pella HQ about our problems with the product to see if they had any ideas. This has gotten us absolutely nowhere.

Has anyone had similar problems with Pella? Does anybody have a phone number for Pella HQ that works, and would get us someone who gives a crap about the customer?

Any recommendations (we're in Canada) for replacing our Pella "premium replacement windows" with windows that are actually premium, and not just in price? Optimally they'd be double-hung, wouldn't fog and would actually keep noise out instead of amplifying it.

Sorry to vent. We've tried everything from heavy drapes to inserted panes in the removable pane system to heavy drape liners to foam window inserts. We now sleep with white noise generators to keep out traffic noise which was never a problem with our original 60-yr old single pane window/storm combo.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, group therapy, etc.

mojoandy .at. yahoo .dot. com

Reply to
Andy

Pellas condense. Consumer reports rated them. there is a condensation rating and pellas rated poor. I have them to. My andersons dont condense. Bottom line lower your humidity its to high or your windows will be damaged.

Reply to
m Ransley

We had Pella windows while living in Ottawa. They were great in both areas that you are having trouble with. Our windows were not double hung though and maybe that is the difference.

As a guess, it sounds to me like the installers didn't properly insulate around the windows. If you are careful, you can pull off a piece of the trim and take a peek inside to see if insulation was properly installed.

Keep "crawling all over" the installer until you get satisfaction.

Reply to
Ron

Was it a Pella certified installer? If yes tell him to get his rear end over to your house.

these

"premium

Reply to
Art Begun

Absolutely NOT! My installations have performed perfectly and future projects will be either Pella or Andersen depending on what looks the best for that project. Your problem could well be something in the installation, or the house structure. Pella customer service can't solve the problem remotely, so you probably need to do a more comprehensive survey to solve the problem. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I have some new Andersen Tilt and Wash double-hungs, and am not that impressed. They were installed by a certified installer, but the sound transmission is notable, especially in the winter. I guess with the air being dense? I have vinyl clad wood sashes. I think the sound comes through the pane.

I have a humidifier, so I do get condensation, but it is worse than I'd like. I have the metal fake grids between the glass, and they seem to conduct cold, because I get condensation over the grids, too.

So, no solutions for you, just comiseration. I live in the DC area.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson