Vinyl replacement windows

Hey folks,

My wife and I are deciding if we want to replace the windows in our house. The ones we have now are double-hung, single pane sashes, divided down the center on each sash. Its an old house, and there are'nt even any sash cords on these units. They are extremely drafty in the winter, even with the old storm windows on them, and the do not seem to have any 'historical value' to them (no antique glass ot the like)

So the budget is tight, and we have 14 of these suckers to do (about

32''x66''). A local handyman has given us a quote for vinyl replacement windows, double hung, 6 over 6, quoted us a price of about $200 per installed.

My question is: are there any downsides to vinyl replacement window that I am not thinking about? I'm really looking forward to less drafts and more sound insulation.

Reply to
Mike