Adding Insulation to Attic

I would like to add insulation to the attic of our 1947 bungalow style home. There is a finished bedroom upstairs, and would like to add blown cellolose to the ceiling. The exisiting insulation has a vapor barrier, but is glued (??) to the 2x4 studs that make up the ceiling. There is about a 4inch gap between the vapor barrier and the drywall.

Should I leave this as-is and blow the insulation on top, or should the vapor barrier be in contact with the drywall? (this would require pushing / tearing the paper away from the studs and push the insulation down.)

Help! Thanks!

Reply to
Jeff Simpson

Call Owens-Corning at 1-800-get-pink

No need for it to be in contact with the drywall. Leave it alone and you will even gain a little additional insulation out of it. Just add to the top.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan