Replacement Windows

I am in the process of replacing the windows in my house, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and/or experience with any certain brands. I am a novice at this, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hawkins

The stuff they sell at the box stores are infinitely better than single pane aluminums they installed on my house 50 years ago - but the stuff that is sold through a professional window contractor is infinitely better than the box stores stuff.

I'm going with Lowe's Pella windows, but only because I don't have 10k to spend on windows and my existing windows are essentially open to the world right now. When the time comes, I'll probably dump the cheap windows from Lowes and go with a real installation - but that's probably 5 to 10 years from now.

BTW: I have no loyalty to Pella windows, its just that I refuse to shop at Home Despot.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Many companies are making good windows. I would look at how long they have been in business and warranty.

Reply to
Lawrence

roger61611

replacing the windows in my house, and was wondering

My 30 yr-old house had 19 original single-paned windows. I also went with Pella windows from Lowes about 2 yrs ago. Between $125-$150 depending on size. To my wonderful surprise, the new windows off the shelf at Lowes fit the opening like a glove!...about 1/2" - 1" on three sides for squaring, shimming, and foam insulation. No special ordering. Replaced all 19 over a year. After learning on 1 or 2, it got to the point where I could do 3 or 4 windows in a weekend. Probably saved $10K doing it myself. Working on a 2nd story scaffold was abit scary but overall not a hard job.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB