Replacement 86-inch shower hose springs a leak

I just replaced it for the second time which makes it my third hose. It doesn't cost me anything because I buy a new one and return the old.

But in about two years time, two of them leaked the same way. The yellow rubber insides pops off the end with the internal brass nipple.

That puts water inside the metal which isn't designed to be watertight. I use it once a day about, to direct the water in a large shower stall.

The water pressure is about 50 or so last I checked (a while ago though). The water temperature is "B" on the ABC scale of the hot water heater. Nothing special in either of those two metrics.

Neither is the use causing kinks. I hang it up when done on the diverter (or leave it on the shower floor).

Is it just me or do others find these hoses only last about a year in normal use?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy

I think I see the problem. Glacier Bay

I'd go with Kohler or Delta.

Ed Pawlowski

On Mar 08, 2022, Bob F wrote (in article<news:t090j5$4an$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me):

This last one I disassembled and off came a little hollow brass fitting of the same diameter as the yellow flexible hose inside the metal hose casing.

The little brass tophat that is somehow glued to the end of the internal yellow rubber hose comes right off. It's a bad "solder joint" I think.

Needs to be reasonably flexible but I think they make them for showers. I'll take a look at what Home Depot offers for the plastic shower tubing.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy

On Mar 08, 2022, Ed Pawlowski wrote (in article<news:prUVJ.24300$ snipped-for-privacy@fx27.iad):

How would I know if Kohler or Delta is any better or worse than Glacier Bay?

Those are much too short (at 60" & 70") but they probably have an 86" somewhere in their lineup.

At this point I'll stick with returning the Glacier Bay every year. I just wanted to know if it was just me or if others had this problem.

Seems like they do with all these metal sleeved rubber inside hoses so far.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy

There have been complaints about Glacier Bay quality over the years. They are not as good as most other brands and are made to sell at a lower price. I'd not put it in my home.

I do know my Kohler flex hoses are original and have lasted for over four years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Also quality could vary within the Glacier Bay brand. I'd stop beating a dead horse and do like you say, get another brand and see if that lasts longer.

Reply to
trader_4

On Mar 09, 2022, trader_4 wrote (in article<news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com):

The weak link in the second failure was the brass nipple on the rubber hose. What do the better quality flex hoses use on the end of the rubber inside?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Reply to
RonTheGuy