Refrigerator Repair Question

I tried posting this before but don't see it.

The evaporator pan on the refrigerator rusted out. I was able to get a used one to replace it. The pan sits on top of the condenser and is held in place with a nut and bolt. There was something used to help keep it from leaking around the nut...some kind of putty. It appears to be plain old plumbers putty like we have. Does anyone know if this is right? The pan gets pretty hot ...

Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

When I took our GE Monogram apart, it was loaded with plumbers putty. I did away with most of it and redid it with silicone seal. the putty hadn't fared well at the low temperatures, and hopefully this will be better.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Reply to
camel_J

Evaporator: The tubes or coils which get cold. Condensor: The tubes or coils which get hot. Condensate tray or pan: The pan which holds the water that drains from the evaporator. Compressor: Device which compresses refrigerant. Usually sealed, and usually hums and vibrates while running.

I've seen condensate trays on compressors, but never seen an evaporator pan on a condensor. Seen trays next to the condensor on frost free models, though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon