Toilet seat screwdriver

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers do it without damage?
--
Tekkie

Grind an old putty knife down so it fits. Realistically you should just be holding that screw and running up the nut from the bottom anyway.

is

ut

ers

I do not have a grinder anymore and if I did I am so incapable of performin g tasks correctly it would probably end up in my skull and destroy the few brain cells I have left. 8-(
--
Tekkie

Is this a metal screw or a plastic one? Most toilet seat bolts seem to be plastic for the last 30 years or more.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think it is to remind you to take it easy when you tighten them.

let is

and

e but

umbers

ming

Plastic
--
Tekkie

Or use a dime...

Dull 1' wood chisel makes a good wrong tool for the job.
cable snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net posted for all of us...

is

ut

ers

That is a good idea. I do not have any chisels but I could look at the hardware store for a cheapie.
--
Tekkie

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 4:28:40 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:

et is

and

but

mbers

Why buy a chisel instead of a wide blade screwdriver? As someone else suggested, in a pinch a coin, washer or similar flat piece of metal and a pair of pliers or vice grip can work to hold it while you tighten it. We're not taking 100 ft lbs of torque.

There is a very handy tool to do just this job. It looks like a plastic pipe about 8" long with a rubber gripping sleeve and a series of slots in the top and bottom to go over the wings of the nuts underneath the bowl. Look on Amazon or just search for "Toilet bowl seat bolt tightening" or similar wording. About $8. Strangely it seems to be made by a company in the gardening or pool supply business. Maybe the owner had the same problem and just put his machine shop to good use.
"This Old House" also had the same problem and recommended cutting the bolts. Bad idea given the likelihood of damaging the bowl.
https://www.avg.com
Oren posted for all of us...

is

ut

ers

I do not have any larger ones, that was one of the reasons I stopped before it got too chewed up.

I am not at that point yet, thankfully.

That is an idea, especially if I back up the points on the the needle nose with some kind of shims...
--
Tekkie