Recommended repair or magnetron replacement of broken microwave (Jenn-Air M170B)

I didn't say hold the freaking resistor in your hand. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I see the diagram including bleeder resistor, and may have internal 10m bleeder, but might be external. I would not trust an internal resistor as being good.

Ok, a 1 uf cap and 110k resistor tc if .1 sec, so 80% of the voltage will disappear in .22 seconds. A half watt resistor could smoke.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Hmmm... I don't remember hearing buzzing but there is the loudness of the microwave sounding like it's working. The turntable and lights do what they should, as do the control.

The food just comes out cold.

I'm going to fully test that diode - and report back. I went to Fryes last night but they didn't have a single 13x22 inch microwave!

Reply to
Danny D.

I have some resistors but they're the teeny tiny ones with stripes.

I will need to go to Radio Shack and get a roughly 100 ohm resistor that is a half watt or so first then.

I wonder though: Why wouldn't a screwdriver across the terminals work? (Assuming a non-conductive handle.)

Reply to
Danny D.

OK. I will read further before going to Radio Shack for that resistor. :)

Reply to
Danny D.

Wow. Lots of good reading there! Thanks.

I am getting the test jig set up at Radio Shack & will report back.

OK. Now I see why a bare screwdriver isn't used. I'll get a 10K ohm 10 Watt resistor at Radio Shack.

I have that bimetallic switch mounted on my magnatron. Is it supposed to be on or off when the microwave is unplugged? Mine reads at 0.4 ohms resistance with the microwave unplugged.

Reply to
Danny D.

It will certainly discharge the cap. Don't use the tip, because it will make a divot in the blade. In theory, nothing happens. As a practical matter, it doesn't take a huge transient to take out the controller board. It's not likely, but why risk it.

Reply to
mike

Shorting it with a screwdriver is similar to The Jesus Method where you shout JESUS! when the bright flash and boom melts the terminals and tip of your screwdriver. A hundred thousand ohm resistor may pop which is why you use insulated needle nose pliers and not your fingers to hold the resistor when you use it to discharge the capacitor. Resistors are cheaper than fingers. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hey!! I know this was posted a few years ago but I'm wondering if you fixed /gave up on/still have this model M170B. Some door parts on ours broke and fell out recently and we're looking for those parts or the whole door. We w ould be willing to pay a good price. Lee Bloomquist snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
lbloomquist83