Rayovac batteries - leak problems? (2024 Update)

I'm in my late 70's. Rayovacs have had and deserved a reputation for high rates of leakage at least since I was a pre-teenager when I saw them ruin many of my parent's flashlights and early models of vacuum tube portable radios. Of course, I had to find out for myself and proceeded to ruin several flashlights I bought as a teenager. The fact that Rayovac batteries are still sold just goes to show that indeed, "there's a sucker born every minute."

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I have several RoV batteries - rechargeables - in AA and AAA , and have had zero problems with leakage .

Reply to
Snag

I never was willing to try their rechargeables after everything my family, me, and many friends experienced with their non-rechargeables.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I tend to buy RoV and Energizers for AA and AAA , the 18650's I buy any brand that gets good customer reviews .

Reply to
Snag

I have two 12 pack, sealed packages of unused batteries that are leaking in the package. Package states guaranteed leakproof and ten year shelf life.

Reply to
Mikey

And how many decades have they been sitting on the shelf????.

I have had a few alkalinr batteries, of all manufactures leak in equipment thathad been ignored for many years. The beauty of alkalines compared to the old carbon/zinc is a quick swish with hot water removes the green slime and white crystals, and new batteries bring the device back to life. Anythiung from a cheap $2 flashlight to a several hundred dollar piece of test equipment.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They were in the car trunk year round, perhaps.\

Reply to
Bob F

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:46:51 +0000, Mikey posted for all of us to digest...

Take them back or call Rayovac.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

Do you keep all those store receipts? Can you find the right one? Many are printed on thermal paper which quickly becomes unreadable.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:05:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd posted for all of us to digest...

So, look on your CC accounts. If he calls RayOVac he will be told to return them to the place of purchase or the co. When I had a problem the manufacturer just wanted the info on the batteries. Got generous coupons.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

Interesting. I had one start to crust up. I just tossed it.

Reply to
cshenk