Rayovac batteries - leak problems? (2024 Update)

I have had 2 flashlights get ruined in the last year from these junk batteries. I bought a frogsleggs from amazon for 20$ and the 2024 date batteries have corrode the whole unit. I am calling Mon. to see what they will do. Back to Duracell.

Reply to
hkdagn

All the consumer grade batteries seem to leak over time. I discovered that Ray-O-Vac is really good about replacing devices damaged by their leaking batteries.

So far they replaced three damaged, somewhat expensive Petzl brand headlamps for me.

If someone has found a brand of battery that doesn't leak, I would like to know what it is.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I use NiMH  and/or Lithium-ion rechargeables...no leaks yet.

Reply to
Bud

Stormin' Norman posted for all of us...

This discussion is very timely for me. I've just had to replace a bunch of Duracell batteries because they leak. I've switched to Energizer but to my observation they don't last as long as Duracell. I never had exceptional experiences with Rayovac. It's hard to compare quality/life equally because of the randomness of use. I am slowly going to rechargeable.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to jt, Brian Huffman wrote: I just had a Rayovac battery nearly destroy my Mac's wireless keyboard. I also had a very expensive flashlight destroyed and I believe that its batteries came from the same batch of Rayovac's. I am switching to lithium batteries on expensive items.

Reply to
Brian Huffman

I have a 60-pk of AAA alkaline batteries by Rayovac that still has 28 UNUSED batteries where many of those unused batteries have leaked. So, it's not necessarily an issue of abuse or misuse apparently. I discovered the bad batteries when my tv remote wasn't working. I thought they hadn't been in use for very long, but figured I must not have realized how long they had been installed. When I went to get replacements out of the 60-pk that's when I discovered the unused ones had leaked, too. Which is what led to my internet search on leaky batteries. Fortunately, I was able to clean the "crud" off the contact areas in the remote and the device was not damaged as far as I can tell at this time. The packaging touts a "10 Year Power Guarantee in storage" so I don't believe it was an issue of having them in storage for too long.

Reply to
TaraDawn

Leaking is a problem with all alkalines- the brand matter not...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I've had good luck with Energizer alkalines. I gave up on Rayovac decades ago because almost all of the ones I used leaked either prematurely or at end of life. I've never had the slightest leak from an Energizer. Maybe I've just been lucky with them.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I have some 7-8 year old batteries that still read good on the tester and have not leaked Most are ever-ready but some are Chinese off-brands

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have a 48 pack of Rayovacs that have never leaded even when I don't discard the one which are now too flat to use.

Reply to
5tft

You are a very rude person and lack basic social skills.

Son, you'll get much further in life if you can somehow learn how to disagree without being disagreeable or resorting to profanity-- clear marks of limited intellect and/or education ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I had AAs w/B/B Nov 2026 & so far the vast majority have leaked and damaged various equipment to different degrees. I am throwing out the balance because I'm afraid of more damage. The customer service web wasn't working and the customer rep continually suggested that I wasn't storing them properly which was ridiculous. Don't buy this junk as the overall initial savings will be wiped out by damaged equipment, loss of batteries, and frustration.

Reply to
Roy Kennedy

they leak and corrode i have a 24 pk unopened ex nov 2024 that are junk trying to get adjusted so far no luck!

Reply to
cubbybear

I have had three boxes of 36 1.5 volt AA batteries from RAYOVAC leak out in the box. Box never open. They are stored in the house yes it has heat and air. I have see the same thing in Lowes stores they are leaking out. Bottom of clear box shows it well. I return one box to Rayovac it took a month for them to seen be a replacement box. Even with pictures sent via internet. They have a big problem and this is one customer they lost. Ed Scott, NC

Reply to
Ed Scott

The brick is probably smarter than Rood .

Reply to
Snag

I use all rechargeables now , with one exception - the batteries in my freezer monitor sender units are (I think) Ultimate Lithium because they perform better at subzero temps . Never had a leak in any brand . When they quit holding a charge I toss 'em and buy more .

Reply to
Snag

Rayovac batteries are leak worse than my old shovelhead harley. They are rubbish.

Reply to
Vroby

Yes, they do leak. We have sent them photos of the leaking batteries and they claim that they CANNOT see the information on them...WRONG. For I clicked on the photos and they blew up to see the information. They just want to sell inferior batteries. They used to be good when they were in Madison WI as just Rayovac. Now it is Spectrum Brands and the quality has really gone down.

Reply to
Will

Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries don't leak. EULs have a long shelf life as well. The latest batch are marked for Dec 2041. I'm pretty sure they'll outlast me.

Reply to
Emma-Rae Cystt

I've had above-average amounts of leakage from Rayovacs AA's. I had purchased several 50 and 60 packs of AA and AAA a couple of years back when Home Depot ran them on Christmas sale.

Worst problem was an AA pair ruining a hundred dollar Apple Magic Keyboard. It took several months of repeated back and forth as they required endless additional pictures, receipts, written statements, etc. before they finally came across with a check.

The whole process felt like stall-city/make-it-so-tedious-that-the-customer-gives-up tactic...but I persevered.

I also chucked out the remaining unused ones in the packages and replaced the batts in all my devices and flashlights, etc. The local Costco battery department manager was very happy ;-)

Reply to
Capt'n Butler