Whirlpool Washer leak problems

Less than a year old - model # WTW5540SQ - this has given us problems with leaks from the beginning - no floods, just intermittent leaks. We've had at least 4 visits from authorized service techs, all under warranty - they do their checks, and find nothing wrong - then a few days later, maybe a few weeks, it's "Honey, get the towels". The water appears to be coming from somewhere in the front part of the washer - it's absolutely NOT a hose connection or a drain issue. The tech pointed out how it has to be level, and showed us the procedure - I knew all about that, and it's been level from the beginning - using a level it shows right on the bubble front-to-back and side-to-side. The tech also explained about overloading issues (it wasn't overloaded).

Looking at the front of the washer, whenever it's leaked, the water has kinda trickled from under the front of the washer across the tiled kitchen floor - I know the floor is not perfectly level - that happens frequently here in Texas where I am.

But what's interesting is that while the exterior of the cabinet is level perfectly, every time I open the cover and look inside, the tub itself is off-center, "leaning" to the right side of the cabinet, just a bit. I don't hear any unusual noises or rubbing or anything when the machine is running.

It seems like if I could get the TUB right, so it's not leaning, the leaking problem would go away - but while I know how to balance the CABINET, I can't figure out how to balance the tub.

An suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Casual Observer

I vote for a new defective pump. tape some kleenex around the pump and see if it gets wet

Reply to
gfretwell

Casual,

Is this washer in some place where you can safely remove the covers and still run it, a room without children or pets. Find the leak. You won't fix the leak until you find it. The tub should be level if the frame or cabinet is level. The tub sits on some sort of agitatator mechanism which is bolted to the frame. When you've got the cabinet opened up you should be able to put a level on the tub top. Here's a URL which will help you taker your washer apart though I'd let the warranty guys do this.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Yes, the only way I see to solve this is to track down where the water is coming from. Either by leaving the back cover off, etc, or else by taking it apart when the leak is present. It's intermittent and waiting for a service call allows it to dry up. If you go at it right when it's leaking, you will be able to see where the water is actually coming from.

I tend to doubt it has anything to do with the tub being not perfectly level. IMO, it would have to be off by a huge amount for that to result in water on the floor.

Is there any consistency to when in the cycles the water appears?

Reply to
trader4

Yes, the only way I see to solve this is to track down where the water is coming from. Either by leaving the back cover off, etc, or else by taking it apart when the leak is present. It's intermittent and waiting for a service call allows it to dry up. If you go at it right when it's leaking, you will be able to see where the water is actually coming from.

I tend to doubt it has anything to do with the tub being not perfectly level. IMO, it would have to be off by a huge amount for that to result in water on the floor.

Is there any consistency to when in the cycles the water appears?

Yes, whenever it leaks, it's always at the beginning of a spin cycle - as the water is being pumped out of the tub - it's not a flood, but it's a constant trickle - when it leaks - remember, it doesn't leak every time. It seems like when the water is finished being pumped out, the leak stops. Hope that makes sense.

Reply to
Casual Observer

Ugh not good!!

I am looking at buying the very same exact model!

Did you buy it form Lowe's? Cost abt $400 new?

Reply to
me

Yup - that's mine!

Based on my experiences, I'd look elsewhere.

I like what I've read about the fr>

Reply to
Casual Observer

I vote for a broken plastic air break at the discharge line to the outside discharge hose. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Ok thanks

Crap..... I didn't want to pay much over $400 for a new one.... and that typically leaves out front loaders.

Reply to
me