Pre 1.6 gpf Toilets - Legal Anywhere?

We have two, beautiful Kohler toilets that we are changing out with Toto's. These are 3.5 gpf toilets. I know they can be used as long as they were installed prior to the 1.6 reg, but can they be used at all by someone else? I was thinking of something like a mountain cabin. These were very expensive toilets, and I hate to just put them in the trash.

Reply to
Dick

Exactly whom is going to stop you from using them?

I imagine you could still eBay them if you really wanted to.

Reply to
scott_z500

Now who'd buy used toilets? I certainly won't.

Reply to
yaofengchen

Just what I always wanted a used toilet

Reply to
m Ransley

I am pretty sure the law is that you can no longer manufacture the toilets, I do not believe there is a prohibition on selling or installing one in your own home.

I live in Detroit, and we go to the Home Depot in Canada to get a real toilet, drive it back across the border.

Yes, I am a toilet smuggler, but only for personal use.

Reply to
jackjohansson

Make fantastic planters in the front yard in certain parts of the country. Wanted to use one in our front yard until the lot next door was sold (hopefully to me and at my price) but my wife wouldn't let me. Had access to a beautiful old Avocado Green one I removed from my mother in laws old mobile home, too. Oh, well. Seriously, we put Toto in our new bathroom remodel and it works better than any old high gallon model we ever had.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Greg

Question is why why why?????

Some newer 1.6 gpf toilets work better than old 3.5 gpf.

Just buy a better model.

Who in the right mind would buy used toilet?

Reply to
Brian

Wonder if some people call taxi's from their hospital room to take them home so they avoid sitting on hospital toilet cooties... god forbid a nurse brings them a portable toilet seat with a bucket under it. Ewwww, get that hose back in my nose now!.

heck I'd probably buy a used 1.6g toilet have you seen some of the prices! I'm sure a good sanitizing would fix em.

Reply to
bumtracks

A mountain cabin with limited water supply and limited septic capacity does not seem like a good match for a high-gallon toilet. Been there done that.

Plenty of people might be interested nonetheless. 1.6 gpf terlets still have a (largely undeserved) stigma and some folks refuse to buy them.

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob S.

Yes, the Toto model that I have. It flushes like there is vacuum pulling the water down. I've never more than momentarily pressed the handle down. Tom

Reply to
Tom

These people asking why anyone would buy a used toilet are very funny! I wonder if, when they buy an existing house, they immediately swap out the existing toilets for new ones! Haha! Probably best to tear out all the tile and carpeting, too.

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

Another happy vote for the Toto. I happen to own the Ultramax, although they have the usual intimidating profusion of models. Anyway, the thing could probably take down a basketball!

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

although they

I believe I saw a model at Lowe's that advertises that it can clear 100 golf balls in one flush. I'd like to see that.

Joe

Reply to
Joe S

Our American Standard Champions work fine.

Perce

On 03/02/05 03:20 pm Bob S. tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

No, but I put new seats on mine.

Reply to
AutoTracer

Someone on ebay?

Reply to
Nick Hull

I think it's deserved if your waste line has a long horizontal run. I call them "flush twice" toilets.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One repair guy I talked with says that low flow doesn't move the waste along the drain -- so you end up with drain clogs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon