Soap is alot easier on you than gasolene, all you need to do is break
down the oil residue of poison ive oak or sumac and wash it off, hand
soap, dish soap work fine but dont forget the shoes and pants, if gas
is close by and the only thing I guess I would use it probably alot of
chemicals in my garage would break down the oil.
The active ingrediant of poison ivy is termed an oil, Eurushiol. Thats
why it can stay active 12 months on tools, clothing etc. Soapy water
is the quickest way to wash it off, but getting it off quickly is most
important. You can walk throught it or your pet does and that night
take off your shoes or pet yout dog, rub your eyes, take a piss, and
the next morning be itching.
3 weeks ago my buddy went out for a bike ride. His front tire slipped
off the pavement and he crashed face first into a pile of Poison Ivy.
The bruises got better in a week or so and he fixed the bike. He was
thinking he got lucky with the Poison Ivy.
I got an email last night. His arms and face are showing the tell-tale
rash and he's beginning to itch.
When I was pulling and burning poison ivy vines I didnt shower that
night, I was partying big time, My face, arms, where I scratched and
used the bathroom, about everywhere in a few days got me, 2 treatments
of seriods failed, my arms has 250 or so welts some the size of dimes
and 1/4"high, the hospital wanted me admitted and said its so bad it
has to be something else. It affected my health from breathing it for
years and spontaniously re appeared every 6 months for maybe 3 years
on my fingers. I felt for along time like I would die and couldnt
work. Itching was a nightmare. Then I didnt know poison ivy grew as a
vine, I was clearing land and soaked in the poison and in the smoke as
we burnt it. That day ruined the rest of my summer. I wonder what the
Indians did. I could imagine it being used to torture people, by being
tied into a patch for a few days. So any 3 leaf plant scares me, but I
pulled some the other day by mistake and just used a bar of soap amd
water and im fine.
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:35:21 -0700, ransley wrote:
Ouch! It's strange stuff; two of my kids get it bad (although not that
bad), the other could roll around in the stuff and not have any problem.
Me, I can run my hands through it and expect four or five little bumps a
few days later, but that's it. I've heard that "immunity" (or the
opposite) can come and go in people, too.
That Zanfel stuff works great for treating it on anyone I've known who
gets it bad, but it's insanely expensive :-(
It's all over in the woodland around our property, so no chance of ever
completely getting rid of it.
Yes, I already knew that. Actually I think it can remain potent for
more than a year. And it's not just the leaves, the whole dang vine has
urushiol in/on it.
A distinction needs to be made between soap and detergent. Soap will
not remove oils, you need a detergent for that. So washing clothes in
a washing machine will work, it uses a detergent. But washing with
soap and water will not work.
For washing after handling PI, I found 2 things that work well. Fels
Naptha bar detergent can be found in the laundry section of hardware
or grocery stores. I guess it used to contain napthalene, which will
dissolve oils well. Now it doesn't so it's safe for household use.
The fact that it says it's used to pre-treat clothes, and that it has
surfactants in it highly suggest that it would be a detergent. The
other solution I have had success with is Tec-Nu. It's a thick liquid
that I rub on my arms and legs after handling PI, then wash off in the
shower. Tec-Nu is expensive, $12 for a bottle but it will last for
many applications and works well.
Ive been exposed 20+ times since my big time in 86, bar hand soap is
all ive used and I have had no outbreak. Any hand soap breaks down
poison ivys oils so water can wash it away, even just hosing your
hands after touching it has keep me from having any problems. But I
wash within 15 minutes of pulling it.
I agree. The trick is to wash well right away. I fight it in our
yard. As long as I know I've been in it I can avoid the rash.
I use gloves and wash them well with the other cloths I was wearing in
the laundry with a heavy shot of detergent and extra time on the
dial. But I use those cheap contruction gloves from lowes, few bucks
a pair. They hold up for 3 or 4 washings and then they're trash.
Yes, soap does dissolve and remove oils. Maybe not all oils as well as
a detergent but for poison ivy, Ivory soap has worked for me for 30
years. I shower within 1 hour of contact, (I lather and rinse twice).
Immediately wash outside with soap/detergent if I have some scratches
that may have been exposed. Get the cheap $1 gloves and throw them
away. Actually I seldom use any gloves unless it's a big job.
Depending on how much my clothing was exposed, I'll undress in the
laundry room, or many times on the front porch (I'm not so sure everyone
here can do that without risk of arrest). The clothing goes straight to
the washing machine and me straight to the shower. I also wash the
shower knobs after I've touched them.
Some people still think you can spread it by contacting the oozing
blisters, thats an old wives tale. Once you wash well, you can't spread
it. It's not a disease, it's an allergic reaction to the oil. Once the
oil is gone, no chance of spreading it.
This is what's called a distinction without a difference.
Detergent *is* soap. (Of course, not all soap is detergent.) You could
look it up.
All soaps work basically the same way, by attracting and binding oils.
They may do it in different ways, or better or worse, but they all will
remove oils to some extent. (Soap is actually fairly magical stuff,
consisting of molecules that have one end that's polar and one that's
non-polar: the polar end is hydrophilic and attracts water, while the
non-polar end is hydrophobic and attracts oil.)
Soap and water *will* work, given enough soap and elbow grease.
Hey, I even ran across a web page that describes all this as it regards
poison ivy: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/soap.html
The fashion in killing has an insouciant, flirty style this spring,
with the flaunting of well-defined muscle, wrapped in flags.
As an aside, I just found an excellent way to relieve the itching from
Poison Ivy, having recently come in contact with some.
Use a blow dryer. Blow dry the area for a minute or so at the highest
heat you can stand - just don't burn your skin. The itching will get
really intense and then suddenly disappear.
Go on, Google it and see. People rave about it and now I do too.
It has something to do with both drying out the oozing from the rash
as well as fooling the nerves with the heat. I "blew dry" the rash and
the itching would go away for 6 - 8 hours at a time.
I've used hot baths for mosquito bites when the itching got really bad
or the bites were numerous....I think the heat just increases the
circulation, and thus the antibody/immune reaction and gets it over with
more quickly. Itching would increase for a little bit, in the warm
bath, but then be essentially gone by the time I finished. Careful with
that hair dryer...if the itching is bad enough, may not feel skin burning.
Hot shower, along with careful stretching exercise, got rid of really
nasty tendonitis of shoulder...after trying Rx anti-inflammatory that
made my stomach hurt. Didn't want bleeding ulcer, so quit those.
re: "I've used hot baths for mosquito bites when the itching got
really bad or the bites were numerous"
Oh, come on...be honest.
You just needed an excuse to luxuriate in a long hot bubble bath to
relieve the stress of the day.
"Sorry darling, but my mosquito bites are really itchy. I need to take
a long, hot bath. By the way, could you bring me a glass of wine?"
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.