Thanks for your input. This is going to be a lot
harder than I thought. I have to get rid of it
before fall because I'd like to have siding put on
my house soon and the contractors have all said
they won't deal with the poison ivy. I searched the
web and found 2 chemicals that should be able to
kill it. Glyphasate and triclopyr. I am going to
try and find a concentrate of one of them. Another
poster suggested Garlon but I don't see that for
being for poison ivy, just blackberries. I've got
the sprayer but I think I'll get another to use
just for poisons. I plan on getting those paper
suits and coving every inch of my body. I wish I
had a friend who wasn't allergic!
Thanks again to all who responded.
Are you sure that's not Glysophate? That's Roundup.
Get the concentrated version, maybe mix it 2 or 3 times
stronger than the instructions, and add a teaspoon of
dishsoap per quart.
Put on some dishwashing rubber gloves.
Get some cheap cotton gloves, stuff with a little cotton
batten, and then put the gloves over the rubber gloves.
Dip your hand in the concentrate. "swipe" the plants
with your hands, so the whole plant (I'd cut the stems
a foot or two up, ignore the stuff above the cuts) gets
thoroughly dampened with the stuff.
[This is how a professional botanist eradicates the stuff.]
Glysophate is _quite_ innocuous to animals/humans, so this
is not dangerous. Just don't go overboard getting it on
you. Wash up, and dispose of the cotton. The rubber gloves
will be okay with a rinse.
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
You are not making the Roundup strong enough. Mix it double strength
or even a little stronger than that.
I question whether this is poison ivy though. I never heard of poison
ivy crawling up amything. It's normally just a ground plant getting a
foot or so tall. Of course there could be other varieties that I dont
know about. However, this sounds to me like the decorative ivy that
people use intentionally for decoration. If that's all it is, you can
just start ripping the roots out and pulling it. Some of the
universities have photos of nearly all plants online.
If it's only growing against the house and not in the lawn, I highly
suspect it's the decorative ivy.
There is definitely poison ivy that grows as a vine. I just whacked
some here in NJ yesterday that was growing up a tree in the woods at
the border of my lawn. The root was about 1 1/2" in diameter at the
base. It went a good 20+ feet up the tree. You're right about needing
the Roundup to be strong. I used it at about 10%, whiere 1 or 2% is
fine for most common broadleaf weeds and grass.
On 14 May 2005 12:06:19 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Yes, I have the vines as well, and they grow like crazy!
They do make a brush killer labeled for poison ivy, but I've had good
luck doing the following:
I cut the vine a foot or two from the last root. I take a small
container of full strength roundup, and dip the cut end of the vine
(the part that is still rooted in the ground) into the pure roundup
and leave it for several minutes. (when I'm working with the ivy I
wear protective clothes, gloves, and eye protection.)
This usually kills the vine within a week or two. It's a pain to do a
bunch of vines, but it works. I've thought about an alternate method,
but haven't tried it yet. Cut the vines as above. take a cotton ball
and dip it into full strength roundup. Place on the end of the vine,
and cover with a piece of aluminum foil crumpled to hold it on the
vine. With this method, you could do a whole bunch without taking the
time to soak each vine. If you try this, be sure to collect the foil
pieces and cotton balls and dispose of properly.
While we're on the subject, a company called Gemplers
(www.gemplers.com) sells a product called (IIRC) Technu, that you wash
with after exposure to poison ivy or related nasty. It claims to be
effective even when used hours after exposure. When I'm out mucking
around in the areas I know there is ivy, I wash off my arms and legs
with it afterward, and it really does seem to work. It's a lot less
messy than those barrier lotions you put on ahead of time.
Insert usual disclaimers.
I cur it off at the base and let the vines die, then when the roots
start to put out new ivy in a few weeks or a month and it is a small
area of green then I hit it with round up. Kills it dead without using
a lot of chemical. make sure to cover up when working with the ivy or
poison. By then the vines have died and removal is less hazardous.
And whenever I mess with poison ivy I clean up with orange gojo any
where I might be contaminated before turning on the shower, really cuts
the oil of the plant off your body. ;)
Go to WebMD, look up poison ivy, they mention two chemical used to
clean/dissolve the toxic oil.
If I have a chance, I'll look.
But, as an oil, it should be soluble in detergent as well, which should
Or, shmearings with vegetable oil, followed by detergent.
Vegetable oil will remove some shop grease that even detergents have a
Urushiol cannot be deactivated by normal means, and is very persistent. The
only solution is to remove it with detergents, but I do not know if these
would work with leather. More importantly, if you have ever had a reaction
to the resin in poison ivy, you would know that the only answer is, "no,
throw them away".
In other words, if you told me I had to pay you $50 or I "might" get contact
dermatitis, you would have $50.
Soap and water dissolve and remove the oil that causes the irritation,
if its on gloves then its probably on your pants and shoes as brushing
into a plant releases the plants oil, just wash everything. The palms
of your hands have thick skin and are the least supceptable part of
your body to Urishiol oil, and if your wash your hands within an a
half hour or so nothing should happen. Welders gloves are a bit
overkill as light duty gloves will work, but just throw them in a
bucket of water with dish washing detergent. The oils remain active
for something like 6++ months so wash it off. Google about it for more
specific informaton. Once I pulled doen vines and burnt them, didnt
shower and didnt know I was breathing Poison ivy burning, I had about
250 welts on each arm, was sick for at least 6 months from breathing
the smoke, and I spread it over my body from not washing. I pull it
mistakenly now and notice it poison ivy to late, I just wash off my
hands with a hose and some soap now and no problem. The important
thing is removal of the oil within about 1/2 hour and not touching any
other part of your body.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.