Plane or trim a doorskin door?

I have a six panel doorskin door in the basement. It doesn't fit or close. I suspect the door frame has warped. I need to remove up to 1/8" from the bottom 18'' of the door. This door has a compressed paper edge top to bottom which is painted.

What is the best way to trim this door? Will a plane work? Table saw? Circular saw? Other?

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

If it doesn't fit at the bottom, you need to remove more than 1/8" as doors normally have 3/4 to 1" gap at the bottom unless it separates an unheated/cooled area, then it needs weather-stripping on the bottom. By the way, how does a door frame warp as they are normally nailed solidly in place and made of well dried wood. A warped door frame wouldn't require material removed from the bottom but more likely from the sides.

If you have a very sharp plane, you could remove 1/8 of any edge. To remove

3/4" to 1" from the bottom I would use a hand held circular saw with a quality blade and a guide clamped on the door to ensure the cut is straight and where you want it. Never try to trim the end off a door on a table saw unless you are using a trim sled, this can be very dangerous.
Reply to
EXT

The door does not fit at the side. The bottom gap is about 1". I need to remove from zero to 1/8" from a side, from the bottom up about 18". I shall try the plane idea with a very thin cut.

The builder did not put quality into this basement. I have tried correcting the (twisting) warp at the bottom of the frame but I run the risk of splitting. I have attempted to stabilize the warped frame with extra fasteners so that further warpage is unlikely.

Many thanks for your advice.

Peter.

Reply to
PVR