Pence on Mackinac (2023 Update)

Automobiles are banned on the island so, what does our VP do? Takes a motorcade of 8 cars. He pissed off a lot of people.

Ed Pawlowski

I am sure the secret service made that decision. Of course Pence didn't have to go.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe the fudge-packin' Mackinac Island luddites would have preferred Air Force One landing on their 3500 foot runway?

Reply to
Luddite

Oh my, he should be impeached.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Jesus probably told him it was ok.

Reply to
Gary

With all the whacko nutjob democrats crawling around in public, it's essential that Vice President Pence have a heavily armored car for cover. Get it?

Reply to
John Doe

He should take a heavy armored bicycle.

While I am a Republican and support Trump, I still think if there is a no cars rule for the public, then the VP or anyone else should either observe that rule or not go. Presidents and VP's are easy to replace. Look at all those standing in line.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A closed carriage should suffice. The permanent population of Mackinac Island is about 500.

The Secret Service will have to beware of road apples as they lope alongside the carriage, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

The residents aren't the problem. It's the riff-raff tourist trash that comes over on the ferrys.

The fudge shops pick the road apples to make Chocolate Truffles for their tourist guests.

Reply to
devnull

Gerry Ford used a horse drawn carriage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That was before Reagan was shot and before Ford himself was shot at. The SS doesn't like presidents being shot at or shot.

Reply to
gfretwell

Have to agree, there is no one that I can vote for. I'm hoping that someone, no matter the party, jumps into the race next year. I had a little hope for Biden but I think he is heading to la la land.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What happened to JFK just a decade earlier? Bow and arrow?

Reply to
trader_4

Heading? He's been in La La land prior to and since being VP. I'd vote for the neighborhood dope dealer before voting for Biden or AOC.

Reply to
Hawk

There are exceptions to the no car rule. Snowplows, Fire trucks, ambulances and snowmobiles are allowed. With a special permit, other vehicles are allowed if authorized, such as vehicles for the movie "Somewhere In Time". But I agree that Pence should have obeyed the rule. He's not above everyone else, I don't care who he is.

Reply to
Hawk

That was where we got the basis for every gun control law since 1934. GCA 68 is the basic legislation they amend to pass any gun law in congress. Isn't that enough reaction for you? Granted the democrats were in charge so they went after the guns and not the nuts who shoot at presidents or the security protocols, hence the attempts after JFK. The SS put a few new protocols in place after Dallas but nothing like what was put into place after the DC Marriott shooting (Reagan). The Pres and VP don't really spend a lot of time out in the open unless the venue and everyone there is carefully screened. Even then they are usually behind bullet proof glass if they stop moving.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am sure it was the secret service made that decision. Michelle Obama complained about the same shit and she is not even in the line of succession.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah but it was well after Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and Kennedy were shot. Besides, if someone shot Ford we'd win Rockefeller. Ford and Rumsfield kept Rocky away from anything besides tree planting ceremonies.

Reply to
rbowman

Are helicopters OK?

Reply to
trader_4

They really didn't get that serious until Ford and Reagan. Like wars, they always wanted to stop the last one not guess what was going to happen in the next one. Ford (twice) and Reagan both involved the president moving outdoors in public and since then you don't really see them outside a lot unless it is a very well controlled environment. My BIL worked in the White House from LBJ to Reagan traveling on the plane with the SS (the OTHER identical 747 that goes everywhere AF1 goes) and he saw their protocols change over the years. It really tightened up after Reagan.

Reply to
gfretwell