Pellet stove air intake

Whats the ridiculous part? Its done all of the time.

Pellet stoves draw combustion air from

Our gas boiler which heats our home has a factory designed intake for outside combustion air. It really isn't an unusual thing and it is effective.

Reply to
George

But it does take heated air from the house and blow it outside after heating it even more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Think about what he posted...

Reply to
George

babbling

Yeah, I hate when that happens. I have really strong windows and the vacuum popped my eyeballs right out hanging by the optic nerves. I had to pick up my eyeballs to look at anything.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Irrelevent.

The issue is combustion, not air temperatures.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The issue is replacing the air lost in the house, be it a dryer vent or up a chimney. An equal amount of air must be brought in and heated.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're either joking or genuinely insane.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Insane, at least my friends and family tell me that.

During heating season, when the dryer runs it blows out the heated air and it is replaced with outside air that must be heated too. What is insane about that statement?

When a heating appliance burning fuel uses inside air for combustion, it will vent to the outside and that air is draw into the house also. What is insane about that? Some of those appliances also have air leaks in the burner path that allows heated air to flow through even when not in use, thus wasting energy, thus the preference for outside air for combustion.

Fuel burning heating appliances (as opposed to electric) are happy with any air that has enough oxygen to support combustion, no matter the source.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have bought replacement air from Walmart, it comes in large boxes that can be difficult to store.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Say what you will, but pellet inserts don't have intakes for outside air. Why would they, anyhow? They put the heat directly back into the home ... I can put my hand on the exhaust and keep it there when the stove is at its hottest. If your oil burner is in your kitchen or living room, where our stoves are, your intakes must be a pretty sight, and somewhat of a threat when you walk if the the air is drawn in at the bottom like it is on a pellet stove..

Say what you will, but if the is an outside exhaust, efficiency can be improved with an outside air intake. Laws of physics, not my opinion or your. Educate yourself and you will agree. My oil burner is in the basement, not the kitchen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You have to figure that anytime you are pumping air out of the house - as with dryer, furnace, regular fireplace, a pellet stove , or just a bathroom or kitchen exhaust fan- air has to come back in to replace it. Unless you live in a super-insulated house, air will find somewhere to enter, or the device try to exhaust will fail to function properly. So by bringing outside air in for the combustion process in a controlled fashion as the appliance manufacture suggests, you save having that same air drawn in thu windows, doors, or what ever other opening it can find.

Since this is for the combustion, it ends up being blown out of the house via the chimney or whatever other exit point might be used by the appliance to vent combustion gas. (i.e. a high-efficiency furnace might use regular PVC pipe).

This isn't the air that is being heated by the appliance - that is the room air around the stove, which may be drawn in by a fan and circulated around the outside of the combustion chamber and heated before being blown out as hot air to heat your room.

Reply to
Mark

replying to Hipupchuck, Jimmy M wrote: The problem with this is that the roof vents are used to get rid of heat in the attic. This is as important in winter as it is summer. Most houses depend on the soffits to bring in colder air and vent any heat out of the attic through the roof vents. Altering this can lead to severe mold growth on the roof sheathing due to condensation.

Reply to
Jimmy M

You don't need to cool down attics in the winter. They do need to be *ventilated* so that moisture doesn't get too high. Typically the venting winds up cooling it down too, but that's not the main intention.

Most houses depend

All he's doing is drawing some combustion air from the attic, which will be replaced by fresh air via all the open vents. I don't see it altering the air flow significantly or creating problems with excess moisture.

Reply to
trader_4