Painting vs. replacing vinyl siding ... ?

We have a two story house with a large rear expansion. The main portion of the house is unpainted brick on 1st floor, white aluminum siding on 2nd. The large, rear, two-floor expansion was recently built and is covered with white vinyl siding.

We are looking to change the color of the entire house to a particular shade of very light, cream yellow (windows and trim would be white).

Painting the brick should obviously be no problem. I believe aluminum siding can be painted without much trouble. But the vinyl siding concerns me. I understand that it swells significantly with sunlight and that it used to be the case that you just couldn't paint it. I see some reports that there are paints now that are superadhesive and that as long as a light color is used, you can paint vinyl siding and even get a warranty on the work.

How good an idea is it to paint go ahead and have the siding painted? What is the cost of re-siding a house with proper-color vinyl siding vs. painting? Am I correct that there should be no problem painting the aluminum siding?

Any other thoughts in general? Thanks.

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

One reason people use brick is t he naturla good appearance and no mainentance for a hundred years. hey don't want to paint stuff. It could hurt the resale value.

Talk to you paint dealer. Some paints are formulated for just your use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Painting brick is usually a big mistake.

Reply to
Art

Why did you buy a brick house.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yeah, that was a particular "look" for a while.

Yeah, but why would ya do it? I would reconsider the color -- find something that makes a more subtle contrast with the brick than white (I wouldn't choose a 'light cream yellow', for my money -- a nice green perhaps), and I'm sure you'll be very pleased. Pay attention to landscaping and the different layer won't be as noticeable.

But yellow painted brick? Yech. Especially when it begins to come off, you'll really notice that.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

In what way?

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

It was situated in one of the very nicest neighborhoods in all of Alexandria, VA and it was one of two to go on sale during our length search period. I like brick - but as brick goes, this is rather bland brick. And 13 houses in eyeshot of ours are all, but one, brick bottomed, white toped like ours. It seems tedious to see so many just like this in color.

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

People that paint brick are idiots, and the next owner will have a huge expense to sandblast the paint off. Painted brick is BUTT UGLY. You see lots of it in the slums and ghettos of large cities.

Aluminum siding requires a special paint made for aluminum siding.

Dont know about the vinyl. Dont know why you didnt get the color you wanted when you had the addition built.

Reply to
spamfree

Once you paint brick, there's no going back. Sure you can always sandblast it off, but it will damage the brick in the process.

All painted brick does is slowly flake off and degrade. Then your house looks run-down and like crap, and you have the pleasure of knowing that you'll need to re-paint it every X number of years to keep it looking decent. I always shake my head whenever I see a nice brick house that had its brick painted, and is now flaking off un-evenly at random spots and looks like trash.

In terms of resale, I would think that it would scare off certain potential buyers as well who will be turned off at the prospect of buying a house that had painted brick (I know that I would probably never buy a house that had painted brick, unless its price was discounted to reflected this constant hassle).

In my opinion, if you are planning on staying in that house for a long time, go ahead and paint the brick if that's what you want and you truly hate its current color. But if you are thinking about selling it in the next 5 years or so, I'd leave the brick as is and the next owners can always paint it if they want to.

Reply to
Jonny R