Painting siding vs. New siding

What is the approximate multiplier for cost of replacing siding on a house vs. painting that siding?

I have vinyl and I beleive masonite siding on the majority of my house and I realize the iffy nature of painting vinyl (and similar, lesser issues of painting masonite) but just am wondering, that aside, what the cost multiplier would be in general.

Thanks.

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

There's a multiplier between "purchase cost of new vinyl siding" and "painting cost of new vinyl siding", but it's really a bit of an exercise, since with clapboard you *must* paint or it begins to deteriorate, while vinyl will happily last you a decade or two longer without you even touching it. Part of your multiplier should be "sitting on my ass and watching the vinyl color imperceptibly fade year after year", because that costs you nothing at all.

Vinyl can be anywhere from 50 cents to 2 dollars per sq. ft. for materials. Paint is more on the order of 5 to 10 cents per sq. ft. Labor, I'm guessing, is about the same, depending on house configuration.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

To paint it right so it lasts go to a real paint store Like Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams. PPG There are new products that will last if done right. Sherwin Williams is so confident a lifetime warranty is given on adhesion. All instructions must be followed of course so learn before you hire someone. A multiplier you didnt say if you will paint the new,

3 to 6x is a guess
Reply to
m Ransley