Paint mold inhibitor

What can I add to latex paint to inhibit mold?

Thank, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Any paint store or HD, etc has an additive. If you buy the paint there they will add it in before they mix it. I added it into exterior stain that I used on a shady area where there had been some algae, mold, whatever that stuff is. How well the additive works, IDK, but it's been a year and nothing's back so far. I think good quality paint already has some inhibitor in it, this is extra.

Reply to
trader_4

There is stuff sold for such use. Should be in the paint store. I have some packaged like those little ketchup packs.

Reply to
Frank

Thanks. I was looking for something I could add myself with buying it.

I heard moisture is one cause.

I may buy some desiccant and hang it from the paint can lid.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Sounds like you are talking about mold in the opened paint can. Never saw this. Its usually corrosion that ruins can. Desiccant would film paint over from drying.

Reply to
Frank

Yes, desiccant in a paint can that is 90% water does not compute. I've used lots of latex paint, had it sitting around, half a can for years, never any mold. Just cover it, tap the lid closed, end of story. I've even had cans that eventually rusted and started leaking, but never mold.

Reply to
trader_4

None of you answered the ? of what can I add to slow down mold.

I was surprised because it was Sherwin Williams paint.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

We answered your orig I was looking for something I could add myself with buying it.

I heard moisture is one cause.

I may buy some desiccant and hang it from the paint can lid.

At which point it appears you're talking about mold in an opened can of paint that is being kept? Two of us said we had never seen it, I've never seen anyone else bring it up either.

How long was this paint stored? Conditions? Are you sure it's mold and not just some paint pigment separating or the paint starting to form a skin coat? One thing I can tell you, buying a desiccant is a waste because latex paint is 90% water. If you're going to buy something, there are additives for the purpose of protecting the paint after it's applied and they would stop mold for sure in the can too.

Reply to
trader_4

a mold inhibitor, stoopid!

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Huh?

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

most people reading your question took to be about preventing mold on the painted surface after you apply the paint, like on a wall etc... not about mold in the paint while it is still in the can.

which did you mean?

Reply to
makolber

Mold growing in the paint.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

We are all learning something new as none have seen moldy paint in a can.

Reply to
Frank

Good. Glad to see you are acquiring wisdom.

Are you a young person ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Andy posted for all of us...

Why not take it to SW and let them figure it out? Or call or write...

Reply to
Tekkie®