Zinsser Mold Resistant Paint

I'm wondering if any interior paint with a anti-mold additive will work as well and the Zinsser. HD sells packets of a chemical that is suppose to retard mold. It's mixed in the paint. The reason I ask is that the Zinsser paint can only be mixed to match light colors. I would like use a high quality paint, get the color I want and then add the checmical to retard mold. I have a small bathroom that has a moisture problem so I am re-doing it and want to get as much protection as possible from mold via the paint.

Reply to
traderfjp

There is no miracle product, try a real paint store that sells Ben Moore, P&L, Sherwin Williams, many sell the same productsand additives. If you have mold ventilate and spray bleach to kill it. Mold likes your bathroom, bleach is the easy way to keep it new.

Reply to
m Ransley

time to wake up man.

fix the moisture problem. install a proper vent.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I planned on adding a larger vent when I do my redo. I wanted to know if a mold additive to normal paint will be as good as the Zinnser product for mold.

Reply to
traderfjp

my point is simply that if mold is growing, thats a sign of something bad and killing the mold doesnt fix the real problem, which is inadequate ventilation.

you might consider putting a timer in that turns on the light and the fan at the same time. then when people are done showering it can vent the room for a while.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

As I said there are better paints that tint to any color , go to a real paint store and look. After you vent better use spray bleach to kill mold regularly everywhere it is before it gets bad, if you paint molds so does your shower area, you clean the mold there also, right. well if not try bleach.

Reply to
m Ransley

I thought about a timer- that is a good idea. I've gone to Sherwinn Willimas and BM stores. They have good paint and a bathroom mold resistant paint too. Although, I was told that they can't tint to a dark color and that I can only get light colors. So once again I ask my question is a MILDEX additive added to normal paint as good as a Zinnser of other brand Mold resistant paint. I think I would be an idiot to do everything else and then not use a mold resistant paint for extra insurance.

Reply to
traderfjp

im tellin ya man, if you want extra insurance dont use the mold resistant paint...

think of the mold as an indicator that you need more venting.... if you mask that indicator, you can look forward to rotting wood, peeling paint (with no mold on it..), mold growing in places you cant see and didnt paint, etc....

to put it another way, even if the product worked perfectly it only stops it from growing where you can see it. if you still have moisture problems it would just prevent you from seeing that its growing. if your bathroom is properly vented you wont have mold problems hence the paint wont be doing anything. imho, its a lose lose situation.

just use an eggshell or semi-gloss and wipe it down twice a year.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Try the additive , it has been around a long time, longer than paint companies have been using it. Ive been told it is basicly the ingrediant in bleach Sodiun Hypochlorate, I have not checked so look at the additive. Yes venting is better but I know in some situations it is impracticle- impossible to do. Try the additive and keep a spray bottle with bleach handy.

Reply to
m Ransley