I'm wondering if any interior paint with a anti-mold additive will work
as well and the Zinsser. HD sells packets of a chemical that is
suppose to retard mold. It's mixed in the paint. The reason I ask is
that the Zinsser paint can only be mixed to match light colors. I
would like use a high quality paint, get the color I want and then add
the checmical to retard mold. I have a small bathroom that has a
moisture problem so I am re-doing it and want to get as much protection
as possible from mold via the paint.
There is no miracle product, try a real paint store that sells Ben
Moore, P&L, Sherwin Williams, many sell the same productsand additives.
If you have mold ventilate and spray bleach to kill it. Mold likes your
bathroom, bleach is the easy way to keep it new.
my point is simply that if mold is growing, thats a sign of something bad
and killing the mold doesnt fix the real problem, which is inadequate
you might consider putting a timer in that turns on the light and the fan at
the same time. then when people are done showering it can vent the room for
As I said there are better paints that tint to any color , go to a real
paint store and look. After you vent better use spray bleach to kill
mold regularly everywhere it is before it gets bad, if you paint molds
so does your shower area, you clean the mold there also, right. well if
not try bleach.
I thought about a timer- that is a good idea. I've gone to Sherwinn
Willimas and BM stores. They have good paint and a bathroom mold
resistant paint too. Although, I was told that they can't tint to a
dark color and that I can only get light colors. So once again I ask
my question is a MILDEX additive added to normal paint as good as a
Zinnser of other brand Mold resistant paint. I think I would be an
idiot to do everything else and then not use a mold resistant paint for
im tellin ya man, if you want extra insurance dont use the mold resistant
think of the mold as an indicator that you need more venting.... if you
mask that indicator, you can look forward to rotting wood, peeling paint
(with no mold on it..), mold growing in places you cant see and didnt paint,
to put it another way, even if the product worked perfectly it only stops it
from growing where you can see it. if you still have moisture problems it
would just prevent you from seeing that its growing. if your bathroom is
properly vented you wont have mold problems hence the paint wont be doing
anything. imho, its a lose lose situation.
just use an eggshell or semi-gloss and wipe it down twice a year.
Try the additive , it has been around a long time, longer than paint
companies have been using it. Ive been told it is basicly the ingrediant
in bleach Sodiun Hypochlorate, I have not checked so look at the
additive. Yes venting is better but I know in some situations it is
impracticle- impossible to do. Try the additive and keep a spray bottle
with bleach handy.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.