Oven element removal Q

The lower heating element in our oven went out today :(

I know they are replacable, but I can't seem to get the old one out.

The oven is a GE, older, electric oven with 4 burners. We got it used and had it for 6 years. I am guessing it is 8 years old or so.

Any ideas on how to replace this?

Reply to
Chris M (SilverUnicorn)

"THE VERY FIRST THING YOU MUST DO IS TO TURN THE BREAKER OFF TO THE ENTIRE UNIT." Here's a link describing ONE thing (not the worst) that can happen if you do not turn off the power to the entire unit:

The follow Expert: Carl Goodwin Date: 8/2/2006 Subject: GE Electric Oven - Heating element

-- QUESTION -- I have a GE electric double wall oven and the baking heating element in the top oven has quite heating. I have ordered a new element from GE and need some hand holding on installing it.

For example, there are two screws in the back of the oven (inside) right above the plate that holds the heating element. I assume that I need to remove these before the element will come out, or do I just need to pull hard on the element? Thanks,

Steve

-- ANSWER -- Steve, The VERY first thing you MUSt do is to turn the breaker off to the entire unit. Then, remove the 2 screws that you are talking about. Very carefully, pull the element towards the front of the oven. There will only be about 6 inches of wire. If the wires are just push on, the pull the wires off, and secure them to the oven inside with tape (so they don't pop back into the liner). If they are screwed in, then you will need to unscrew them. The installation is the opposite of removal. If you have to screw the wires onto the new element, use a pair of needlenose pliers to hold the element "screw piece of metal thingy", or it might break as you tighten it. It doesn't matter which wire goes on which terminal, but it is proper procedure to put them back on the terminal that you took them off. Make sure that you take the tape off the oven liner wall when you are finished. Turn the breaker on, and test operation. Before you begin however, make sure that the new element is EXACTLY the same as the old. If the element probes are too long (or too short), they might touch the inner cavity, and short out. Hopefully the element is the problem? I hope this helps! :)

Reply to
Erma1ina