Is it possible to shorten a broiler element from an oven?

Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?

IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?

Reply to
BoyntonStu

Usually once a risistance element has been used it is quite brittle, that might prevent you from success.

Reply to
beecrofter

The heating element in an electric oven is indeed resistive wire but it is buried in a heat-conducting electric-insulating mineral material and buried inside the metal outer jacket. I believe that the heating wire is welded to the terminals from what I've seen of broken elements. Personally, I don't see any way that one could shorten the element and have it work afterward, at least for any extended period. I certainly wouldn't spend any of _my_ time and money trying.

But what is it you are trying to accomplish? Simply repairing an old or odd oven broiler or are you trying to make something else?

Reply to
John McGaw

I'm thinking of making something out of a new element that would give me the infrared glow at 110 VAC.

Just wondering if any DIYer had tried it.

Reply to
BoyntonStu

Even if you could shorten the wire, you will change resistance and could possibly burn out what's left.

Find a replacement part and settle on being happy with the results.

Reply to
franz frippl

Why not just get a 120v element out of a hot plate?

Reply to
gfretwell