OT: Why do cars slope inwards at the sides?

In her '70s my mother said she'd kept her mouth shut just in case she got religion in her old age but she figured she'd reached old age and still didn't believe. A couple of people in my extended family were really religious and they were viewed as a bit strange and gently humored.

There was also the practice of baptizing a child as a Catholic in case they wanted to marry a Catholic when they grew up. It was a bigger deal back then but a suitable contribution could usually get a Protestant buried next to their spouse in a Catholic cemetery or get a little excommunication overlooked.

Reply to
rbowman

I am OK with that. I have really only seen one figure 8 race and it was pretty silly.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cheatham County Tn is really more hillbilly than redneck. I think of rednecks being Alabama, Georgia and parts of Florida where the yankees haven't invaded yet. South Florida rednecks are a disappearing breed but they are really more like Cajuns than Georgia boys. I knew a few 20-30 years ago but they were assimilated or just moved farther back into the swamp. That is even getting harder to do because developers are draining the swamps and building Golf Course gated communities there.

That is the common thread through all of the country folk. They don't care what the original manufacturer was thinking, they adapt things to what they need.

Reply to
gfretwell

Puddle quirk? I had a Rover Maestro which stopped running if it even saw a puddle The distributor was right next to the wheelarch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What I never understood is the saloon. You can't get anything in it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A bit like British roads then, where everyone believes they have right of way.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Baptising is just an excuse to scare the shit of the baptisee.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you drove into a puddle of standing water in the road, most of it would be thrown up on the windshield.

Reply to
rbowman

What I never understood is why anyone would call an automobile a 'saloon'. You do have proper saloons, don't you?

Reply to
rbowman

I can't think how I could design a vehicle to do that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They're called bars.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It was a closely held secret at AMC.

Reply to
rbowman

Too bad the politicians can't do that...

Reply to
Tekkie®

My morris Mini 850 had the distributor right out in the open at the front if you drove it like I did for awhile withthe grille removed. I hit a starling one day, and it killed the poor mini in it's tracks. Even with the grille installed, a driving rain would drown it. I drove the couple miles from my girlfriend's place to the highway in reverse numerous times to keep the plugs and distributor dry. (prevailing winds were a dead-on headwind the full length of that road)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's called aerodynamics. They didn't call it a "fishbowl" for nothing - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder