OT: Why do cars slope inwards at the sides?

What's wider, your waist or your shoulders?

No, because it looks like cheap shit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My friend had one back when they came out. He said it was bloody good offroad.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

NASCAR is the same way as are most races I imagine. Those "stock cars" you see on TV are actually purpose built machines made from the ground up, not really sharing anything with the production car they roughly resemble. There are uniform requirements on the engines and just about everything else. The thought is with very equal cars, they are really testing the driver. The reality is even working within the rules some cars are significantly faster or handle better than others. They can dial in features that enhance some of these factors, usually taking away another factor.

Reply to
gfretwell

You want flat sides get a Scion xB, the one that looks like it should have 'United States Postal Service' stenciled on it.

Reply to
rbowman

Honda had one the looked like it was drawn by a 5 year old. I don't remember what it was called.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The race is more interesting when some cars corner better and some accelerate better, making more overtakes. Mind you Nascar isn't exactly a proper track, you just go round and round.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The "Element"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

"Rubbin" (bumping into the other cars) is legal in NASCAR and I think people just tune it to see when a rub turns into a 200 MPH crash.

Reply to
gfretwell

The bumper is too tall, it looks retarded.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Looks like a butch version of the CRV I had. Which either had broken or shit automatic 4WD. It was supposed to engage the rear wheels when it felt slippage, but didn't manage at all. A slightly muddy field made it spin ONE single wheel, at the front. No diff lock on it either, pathetic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd prefer a race with all sorts of different cars with lots of corners and slippery bits and NO RULES!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I was trying to think of that one. I remembered Honda had an entry in the race to ugly. Was that the one with the plastic interior so when your buds puked all over it you could drive through the car wash with the doors open?

Reply to
rbowman

I never got into NASCAR. I grew up with outlaw quarter mile dirt tracks. They were more about balls than finding a million dollar sponsor. iirc, the closest NASCAR track was in Langhorne PA and a few guys would go down to run there but it mostly was a different world, northern rednecks versus southern rednecks.

Reply to
rbowman

Oh, a figure eight race. There are a few rules though.

I like this pair

  1. Any car deemed to be on fire by an Official will be black flagged.

  1. Anyone deemed ignoring the BLACK FLAG will be suspended per JC discretion and the race will be red flagged.

Reply to
rbowman

Yup - just hose it down. Butt ugly, particularly the first couple years with the grey plastic fenders.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

When you side-swipe pedestrians the sloping sides mean that they fly over the top of the car rather than damaging the roof.

Reply to
alan_m

Add Nissan Cube to the square list. For the ugly or odd list there is the Pontiac Aztec. A local radio station had a yellow one. It stood out. And Dodge had a more station wagon like buggy that looked more like a hearse than anything. AMC had a couple ugly vehicles. One was the Pacer. There's a Pacer for sale on Ebay now. Someone rebuilt one. One of the changes is the 350 Chevy engine. Only $39,900.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I drove a rental Pacer. It was truly an unique design. When driving through rain puddles it didn't drown nearby pedestrians; it managed to throw all the water on the windshield.

Then there was the Gremlin... I prefer hatchback designs -- except for that one.

The Javelin was a winner. I had a rental that reduced the travel time from Minneapolis to Morris MN to an acceptable amount. It was a little shy on headroom. I managed to contact the roof with my head going over a little hump in the road.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a 71 Gremlin, I didn't buy it, it was somewhere between abandoned and a gift but it did not turn out to be that bad a car., It convinced me hatch backs with a fold down rear seat were the way to go and I have had one ever since. It did share that fouled #5 plug problem that plagued all AMCs of that era. I just cleaned the fouled one and ran in a spare. It was real easy to get to and I could swap one at a long light.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know why they aren't more popular in the US. I traded a '80 Camaro on a '82 Firebird when they came out with a hatchback design. I could carry 4x8 sheets of plywood in the Firebird. They might not have designed it to be a pickup but in my hands it became one.

Reply to
rbowman