OT: Why do cars slope inwards at the sides?

On 02/11/2018 05:25 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I drove a rental Pacer. It was truly an unique design. When driving through rain puddles it didn't drown nearby pedestrians; it managed to throw all the water on the windshield.
Then there was the Gremlin... I prefer hatchback designs -- except for that one.
The Javelin was a winner. I had a rental that reduced the travel time from Minneapolis to Morris MN to an acceptable amount. It was a little shy on headroom. I managed to contact the roof with my head going over a little hump in the road.

I had a 71 Gremlin, I didn't buy it, it was somewhere between abandoned and a gift but it did not turn out to be that bad a car., It convinced me hatch backs with a fold down rear seat were the way to go and I have had one ever since. It did share that fouled #5 plug problem that plagued all AMCs of that era. I just cleaned the fouled one and ran in a spare. It was real easy to get to and I could swap one at a long light.

I don't know why they aren't more popular in the US. I traded a '80 Camaro on a '82 Firebird when they came out with a hatchback design. I could carry 4x8 sheets of plywood in the Firebird. They might not have designed it to be a pickup but in my hands it became one.
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 3:36:16 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

I had an '84 Honda Civic hatchback. You could carry 4x8 sheets of plywood in it.
Cindy Hamilton
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 14:24:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Working at an AMC dealership I never heard of a "#% fouling" problem, but there were a few years when the 232 needed to be driven like you stole it, fresh off the lot, to get the chrome rings to seat. A tablespoon of BonAmi scouring pouder sifted into the intake at 2000 RPM solved that problem.
They also ran the oil for the rockers up around one of the headbolts, and if you didn't change the oil regularly that passage would coke up, starving the rocker arms of oil. They'd chirp pretty good untill you either managed to flush the passage, or removed the head bolt andcleaned things up. I ended up putting an external oil line on my '65 beater to solve the problem.

Dunno but I knew two other guys with AMC 6s that had the same problem. It was always #5 and it was that chalky lead type fouling that you can chip off with a screwdriver. I had spark plug cleaner that used an abrasive powder that really cleaned them up. A new plug lasted about the same as a "cleaned" one so I just kept a few in the glove compartment. I am not sure I ever had that oil problem. I put 50k miles on it and did not do much to it. I certainly was not diligent about service. I ended up selling it running for $500 after 3-4 years. It was the cheapest car I ever owned.
On 02/11/2018 01:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The only long term relationship I had with AMC cars was a '62 Rambler Classic. My father believed in 15" wheels so that was a strong selling point. However, he wasn't a fan of buying tires and the thing had problems staying in alignment. He traded it in on a '65 Dodge which was earlier than usual for him. We lived in upstate NY so replacement was normally triggered by advancing rust.

What I never understood is the saloon. You can't get anything in it.
--
Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy blue-green meat is bad for you.

What I never understood is why anyone would call an automobile a 'saloon'. You do have proper saloons, don't you?

They're called bars.
--
How do you confuse a blonde?
You don't. They're born that way.

Why go to the work of converting to a Chevy 350 when the factory made them with an AMC 304 - which allows a 260, 390, or 401 to be dropped right in. A 401 HO will give a 350 Chevy of the period a REAL run for it's money.

I owned a '75 Pacer. Rode like a limo, handled pretty good too - but the front "K" frame made a good road grader. We rallyed it a few times early in the season while wewere still working the bugs out of the R12.

Just a Hornet with the end sawed off. With the 304 it was pretty hot - and there was a dealer in Michigan selling them withthe 401 HO (AMX) engine.

The early Javelin with the 343 was pretty quick. The later ones got a bit heavier, but with the 401 AMX GoPack they were scary.
Very under-appreciated "muscle" cars.
On 02/11/2018 01:43 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

It was a pleasant enough little ride except for the puddle quirk. I quickly learned to turn the wipers on if I saw standing water in the road.

Puddle quirk? I had a Rover Maestro which stopped running if it even saw a puddle The distributor was right next to the wheelarch.
--
Peter is now listening to "Guo Yi & Guo Yue - Mongolian Horse"

If you drove into a puddle of standing water in the road, most of it would be thrown up on the windshield.

I can't think how I could design a vehicle to do that.
--
Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

It was a closely held secret at AMC.

It's called aerodynamics. They didn't call it a "fishbowl" for nothing - - -

My morris Mini 850 had the distributor right out in the open at the front if you drove it like I did for awhile withthe grille removed. I hit a starling one day, and it killed the poor mini in it's tracks. Even with the grille installed, a driving rain would drown it. I drove the couple miles from my girlfriend's place to the highway in reverse numerous times to keep the plugs and distributor dry. (prevailing winds were a dead-on headwind the full length of that road)

The bumper is too tall, it looks retarded.
--
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Races should be made up of many different cars. That's why F1 is so boring, they're all the same, adhering to rules in engine size etc.
--
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an oscillating electric fan set on medium.