OT: What's the point of a laundry basket?

What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes straight into the washing machine?

Because I'm not about to traipse up and down 2 flight of stairs just to dump a few clothes each day. :-(
(Now if I still had a "clothes chute" like the last house........)

Presumably your machine is on the 1st floor, and you sleep on the 2nd floor. Presumably you spend most of your day on the 1st floor. Why not bring the clothes down with you when you get up in the morning?

No, 2 flights meant I'm on 2nd floor, and machine is in basement.
Besides, what about folks who have no machine, and use a laundromat ? BYDT

They still have those? I thought those went out in the 60s. My washing machine cost me nothing, I got it on freecycle, so don't claim people can be too poor to own one.

DMMLTU
[snip]

Some live in apartments that don't have washer/dryer connections. I have in the past and know some who still do.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I never got why people want to live in prison cells. If I was in an apartment, I'd wash the clothes in the sink, no more effort than carrying the stuff to a public area then hoping the clothes aren't nicked.

When I were a lad we had a "spin dryer". Small cheap portable thing that just spun. Very lightweight, in fact so lightweight somebody had to sit on it to make it stay still.

My wife's aunt had a prehistoric machine that had an 'extractor' I think she used it as a vibrator. The one we had when I was a kid didn't have the extractor but did have the feared wringer. I liked laundry day since I could sail my pirate ship in the rinse tub.

That washer was the first appliance I picked up. All others were delivered and the old one picked up.
The reason I picked this one up was because of Lowes store. The old one quit running. I was promised delivery on Thursday. Was told Thursday around 4 Pm they could not get it delivered that day. Was promised Friday. Was called several times on the phone that the delivery would be in 3 hours or so. Finally around 8 PM was told it was too late for them to deliver. Saturday I was called and they said their delivery people were out sick. Sunday I decided to call the store to see if I could just pick it up as the cloths were backing up. They said yes, so I did.
Then on Monday about 4 PM I got a call from the delivery person saying they were about half an hour away. I told them I had alreday picked the machine up myself, but they could come by and get the old one which I had paid to haul off. They did show up in about half an hour and picked it up.
A couple of years ago I told the story of an electric stove. Got a call for delivery on Monday for a Wensday delivery. No show. Called them, next week the same thing. Called them Friday and switched to one they had in stock and they did deliver it that Saturday. The origional stove had been on order the about 3 months, but I knew that to start with. The old stove worked fine, wife decided she wanted a new convection type, so no real big hurry on that one.
To their sorry credit, they did nock off an aditional 10% for my trouble on that one. Nothing for the washing maching trouble.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:12:07 -0400, Ralph Mowery

One good reason I buy appliances from an appliance store, not a building supply store.
says...

There was a wonderful device invented many years ago called gloves that keep one from tearing up the hands on sharp edges.
When I was 18 I worked a summer at a mobile home manufactor. Part of my job was to load washers, stoves and refrigerators into the trailers. I was shown how to do it by myself. Easy once you learn the tricks to it.
On 08/01/2020 11:16 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I worked for a steel supplier for a few months. Between handling CRS, sheared plate, and flame cut parts a greasy pair of gloves was my insignia. I could put my hands on about 5 pair right now including motorcycle gloves but somehow I never remember them until I raise a few blisters or cut myself.

Slow learner???

Many years ago, a co-worker < shift work > did .. .. house-moving on-the-side .. true - I swear . I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable hiring a part-time house mover .. John T.
On 7/31/20 2:16 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
[snip]

When I was going out to do laundry, I found it a lot better with a large plastic bag rather than a basket. For one thing, the bag (if not too full) can be held closed at the top, to avoid loss of clothes along the way.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Sorry Granddad, "What's a laundromat "?
On 02/08/2020 12:26, tim... wrote:

It's what Americans call a launderette.
--
Max Demian

On 02/08/2020 13:36, Max Demian wrote:

Really? What part of the US calls them that?
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 9:14:28 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:

America: laundromat Britain: launderette
"Trunk" is what Americans call a "boot".
Cindy Hamilton