OT: What's the point of a laundry basket?

There was a wonderful device invented many years ago called gloves that keep one from tearing up the hands on sharp edges.

When I was 18 I worked a summer at a mobile home manufactor. Part of my job was to load washers, stoves and refrigerators into the trailers. I was shown how to do it by myself. Easy once you learn the tricks to it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Remember "Persil washes whiter than white"?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There were no "dark colors" in by 1st grade class.

Reply to
Walter J

In the US a hamper is a box usually with a lid on it that the dirty cloths are stored in, most often in the bathroom or bed room closet. The laundry basket is usually a large plastic or wicker bucket like thing that is used to transport the dirty cloths to the washer and then clean cloths to a place to fold them when the come off the cloths line or dryer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Many years ago someone said to me, for the most efficient way to run an assembly line, put the laziest guy in charge. He knows all the shortcuts.

I've developed many shortcuts for meals too. When I make pancakes, a batch gets me three breakfasts in the week with two strips of bacon for each

I put four eggs in a pot. Boil six minutes, turn off heat. Today I take out two and have soft boiled, leave the other two in the pot and tomorrow I have hard boiled.

Dinner is always enough to two meals or at least a dinner and lunch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's even more crazy. Why not use the same device for both purposes? You've taken your dirty clothes to the washer in the hamper. So the hamper is next to the washing machine. Why not leave it there, then when the machine finishes, use it to carry the clothes to the line?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I never got why people want to live in prison cells. If I was in an apartment, I'd wash the clothes in the sink, no more effort than carrying the stuff to a public area then hoping the clothes aren't nicked.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Could you climb up from the laundry and perve on someone taking a shower?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I worked for a steel supplier for a few months. Between handling CRS, sheared plate, and flame cut parts a greasy pair of gloves was my insignia. I could put my hands on about 5 pair right now including motorcycle gloves but somehow I never remember them until I raise a few blisters or cut myself.

Reply to
rbowman

Only if your shoulders were about 12 inches across.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

More or less. I've got a built in box under the bathroom counter where I put the dirty clothes. It is immobile so I'd probably call it a hamper. I'd call a smaller transportable thing a laundry basket. Actually I use boat bags (canvas tote). I've spent enough time on boats that I prefer carriers that can be stuffed into any cranny rather than hard edged carriers. My luggage consists of reusable supermarket bags.

Reply to
rbowman

You store the 'dirty' laundry in a laundry basket which has a lid, usually tall to take up less floor space. (A hamper is for food, such as a picnic.) You also need a round (or oval) basket that is low enough to put below the open door of the machine to remove the washed laundry. Then you carry this to the tumble drier/airer/outside to hang on the washing line.

Reply to
Max Demian

The 'Whiter Smile' tooth hygiene products company may want to reconsider their brand too. Then there is the Colgate White Renewal toothpaste. That sounds like something a neon nassi would use.

Reply to
rbowman

There were no dark colors in my entire grade school experience. There were a couple of Italians we weren't too sure about. In those days a pizza was something you picked up at the back alley ladies entrance of a shady barroom.

Reply to
rbowman

Less than that actually. Maybe 8 inches, also the opening faced the sink not the shower.

Sorry to spoil your fantasy, Cmdr. K.

Reply to
Anonymous

Wow, what a waste of money, time, and space to achieve nothing at all. My clothes go straight into the washing machine when they're dirty. When the machine is full, I turn it on. When it's finished, I carry the clean washing to the line to hang it up. Pretty easy to just pick it up in a bundle or two. Takes less time than going to fetch a container.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The trug or flexitub is the best invention of the 21st century. I've used them to carry many small objects, water, mix cement, you name it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can curve mine round to 14 inches, but it's not comfortable.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You could buy a periscope.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fark, since 1966 I have just replaced the ancient fridge I inherited from my parents when they moved out with the biggest pigeon pair frost free fridge and freezer that is buyable and they are still the biggest buyable and still going fine. I have replaces the top loading washing machine with the one my dad had when he died. I do have his dryer but I never used one and still havent used his.

I have replaced the original dishwasher, just once because I was too lazy to fix it and got a better Bosch at a yard sale for peanuts.

I still have the original fridge and washing machine.

I have helped some to move houses as few times.

Reply to
invalid unparseable