OT - What can I do with the old electronics from a discarded coffee pot?

People here have lots of ideas, help!

My wife's old coffee pot bit the dust mechanically, and has been replaced. I have the programmable electronic clock and controls which still work per fectly. The programmble control allows turning on of any load up to about

15 amps, based on the relay that does the switching of the 120V to the load . Once on, I believe the load is connected permanently. I haven't tested that yet.

Now I am wondering what to do with the electronics. I hate to just toss ou t a perfectly functioning electronic clock and timer. IDEAS!!!!!????!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Put the clock in a box, attach a power cord on one side, a coffee maker on the other and there you have a coffee maker with a clock to control when it turns on and makes you morning coffee!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

You could use it to turn on a nuclear power plant. Once construction was completed. If it stayed on permanently, that would be fine,

Reply to
micky

You could have it turn off by putting a normally closed, push button switch in the power to the clock. The clock wouldn't actually give the time then. It would give the elapsed time since the device was last turned off.

You could use it to turn on a van de Graf generator under the covers in your bed. To help you wake up.

Reply to
micky

Detonator?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Plug a water valve solenoid into it and use to to blast the "hard to wake" sleeper with a jet of water in the morning. You could market this as a combination alarm clock and morning shower for the busy executive and sell it through the Hammacher-Schlemmer catalog.

Jon (patent and product development consultancy fee schedule available upon request)

Reply to
Jon Danniken

List on Ebay for someone whose coffee pot has good mechanics but needs electronics. Or, you could ship it to Afghanistan and they can use it to wire bombs. You might use it to wire a ghetto blaster, and set it to turn a loud radio on about 4 AM, and leave it in vacant house in Detroit, might scare some crack heads.

. Christ> People here have lots of ideas, help!

and has been replaced. I have the programmable electronic

clock and controls which still work perfectly. The

programmble control allows turning on of any load up to

about 15 amps, based on the relay that does the switching

of the 120V to the load. Once on, I believe the load is

connected permanently. I haven't tested that yet.

hate to just toss out a perfectly functioning electronic

clock and timer. IDEAS!!!!!????!!!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be sure to buy anti static shampoo.

How about a fence charger, hooked to the box spring?

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the bomb.

. Christ> >

I hate to just toss out a perfectly functioning electronic

clock and timer. IDEAS!!!!!????!!!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Every coffee maker I have owned in the last few decades already has a programmable clock to automatically turn on the pot at any time that it is set for. Then, all you have to do is to remember to load the water, filter, and coffee grinds the night before.

Reply to
willshak

use it to control a receptacle through a relay and turn it into an alarm clock?

I never understood why older clock radios used to have a receptacle in the back for your nightstand lamp but that feature has apparently become unpopular... I need all the help I can get to get out of the bed in the AM!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yeah, you could turn on a lamp with that, or even the coffee. We had

3 of those, made my Arvin Radio. I still have one.

I think they were unpopular even before the radios were transistorized, but now the clock can't handle 110 volts. They could use a relay, but don't.

I don't think we ever did use the receptacle.

You get out in the AM? I"ve got it down to 2 PM but I'm still working on AM.

Reply to
micky

gibberish. with no context to help them understand it might as well be really tangled spaghetti code. People see your response, but A: Because in the normal way of reading, it's as confusing as Q: Why? you're responding to. A: Top-posting, that is, putting the response before the material Q: What annoys you about my Usenet posts?

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

st mechanically, and has been replaced. I have the programmable electronic clock and controls which still work perfectly. The programmble control allo ws turning on of any load up to about 15 amps, based on the relay that does the switching of the 120V to the load. Once on, I believe the load is conn ected permanently. I haven't tested that yet. Now I am wondering what to do with the electronics. I hate to just toss out a perfectly functioning elec tronic clock and timer. IDEAS!!!!!????!!!!!

I have just started a turn-on cycle, I need to see if it ever turns back of f or if it just stays on forever. My wife never left it on for more than a n hour or so once the coffee was made, we'll see what happens. The switche d output is via a relay, so it can control up to 20 amps at 120V according to the rating on the relay contacts.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The clock (not radio) I had in high school didn't. I didn't know such were available--so I jury-rigged the one I had with a relay and a plug, into which I connected a record player.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Most go two hours, then turn off.

Reply to