Coffee pot argument

We have a Bunn Pour-O-Matic which has the warmer. The other person in the house would let an almost empty pot sit on the warmer. Needless to say the coffee would be so strong, only they could drink it.

Well, now the warmer has gone south. I swear its because they let the nearly empty pot sit there for hours with the coffee just scalding hot. Could I be a tad bit right about this?

Reply to
Kevin Nitz

You think not enough heat transfer into a sufficient amount of coffee? Hmm. There's a tad bit of a chance you're right, but there's a tad bit of a chance that a) you should have finished the coffee yourself and shut it off, b) that a Bunn Pour-o-matic is a piece of crap and doesn't last long, c) that it got hit by lightning, d) that a little man came in at night at sabotaged the machine. Point is that you are not really seeking ideas on what happened to the coffee maker. I think you shuld make peace in the family by buying a new one with a ribbon on it.

You're a lucky man. Now you can throw that piece of junk in the garbage and buy a vacuum bottle coffee pot.

Reply to
victor

probably so, the heating coil would heat up and not have the correct amount of coffee in it to keep the coil at a reasonable temp... the coil got too hot as there was not enough coffee in it and it burned up....

Reply to
jim

Sign from God. Time to join the Mormons and give up coffee. Are you listening, people?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

So do electric heaters burn up because nothing is on them , no , Was there a recall on it because of fire, No, Are you arguing with family over nothing, . well your lucky now no more burnt coffee. Microwave it

Reply to
mark Ransley

Yup, that satanic cult makes great coffee.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Which "God" would that be, Stormin'? The one that "has a body of flesh and bone, as tangible as a man's"? [That's a direct quote from 'Doctrine and Covenants', by the way.]

The God I believe in is a pure spirit.

Doug Miller

Might be. Might not. I have all too often allowed a pot on the warmer to become dry (BTW, don't remove the pot with the burned-on coffee while it's hot. Just switch off the machine and be prepared to scrub the pot when it's cooled.), but never had the warmer fail. Most recently, whatever caused the input water to boil (on my most favorite coffee maker to date) did not affect the warming plate. Electrical things fail for many reasons. Perhaps smaller twin pots are in your future?

See also: historical material on filling ice cube trays and styles of toothpaste-tube squeezing. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

As long as there was liquid in the pot, the warmer should not burn out. But, I would not allow a warmer to run for hours at a time. Hope you have a smoke detector and fire insurance, though. Fires from kitchen appliances are more common than you think (talk with the fire department or insurance agent). Look for an auto-off feature on your next purchase.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Phisherman

According to Kevin Nitz :

Once the warmer has evaporated off all the liquid, the temperature in the element will go up. Prior to that, it will stay constant (at most somewhere close to the boiling point of water).

It should _not_ present a fire risk (otherwise, UL and/or CSA ain't doing their job) by being limited to a safe value (ie: bi-metallic strip thermal breaker, choosing the element so it won't go above safe levels, etc).

However, running the element at elevated temperatures will accelerate the aging of the element and possibly other components.

How much that shortens the lifetime of the unit will depend on how well the unit designed and made, and what the ultimate temperature (without water) is.

It _may_ have been the cause. It may not have been. There's no real way to tell without doing a full autopsy on the remains. Did the element fry? Did a switch go defective? Did a wire fall off? Poor solder joint? Etc.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

You are definitely right. Coffee sitting on a burner for hours would taste like $hit.

Reply to
Jimmy

The real Jesus, the historical Jesus, who's birth to a virgin, life, date and method of His death, and His resurrection were prophesied from 500 to about 4,000 years earlier, is flesh and blood and spirit and eternal. He is NOT the God of the mormon church.

Anyway, what does this cult have to do with making great coffee?

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

pot - kettle = black

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I think that for your next purchase you might want to consider a drip coffee maker with a insulated carafe. Good coffee tastes immensely better from one of those carafes. If you let the coffee sit on any burner for any time, you are losing flavor- but gaining heat . Just try a carafe one. I bought a Cuisinart w/insulated carafe and will never go back. FWIW I saw at our Wal-Mart that GE has what looks like an insulated carafe coffee maker selling for about $32. I don't know how good it could be for $32 but the visual is good. aloha, Thunder

Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
Smithfarms Pure Kona
[snip]

My wife has been needling me to get a coffee maker with carafe, but what she's shown me has been $200 :-( What did the Cuisinart cost?

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

A few years ago, Reader's Digest had an article on coffee. Author stated that if you injected the amount of caffeine in one cup of coffee directly into a vein, you would not live to pull the needle out.

Reply to
andy asberry

same goes for nicotine. except it can be absorbed straight through the skin.

Reply to
j j

Stormn Mormonn brought up some really good points! Ignorant people like him give Mormons a bad reputation. Has this DUMB ASS every seen what coca-cola does to a 16 penny nail? Coffee changes it's color ... Coke eats to nothing. How come Mormons can drink coke and life is rosy but look down at people for drinking coffee and wine. Urrrr! "Thou shall not drink strong drink." What?s stronger Stormn Mormonn, Coke, Vanilla Coke, Diet Coke, Caffeine free Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Caffeine free diet vanilla Coke, Coffee or an Ignorant Mormon?

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Scalding Mormon