Coffee pot argument

No.

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Reply to
Trent©

How much coffee does it need, Jim? And did you mean liquid?...or coffee?

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Reply to
Trent©

Exactly how does this happen?

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Reply to
Trent©

You are obviously ignorant. I am not a Mormon, but I know enough of their practices to know that they also do not drink soda. Get a life, and stop trying to trash the way others choose to live their lives. I would not want to live the life style that Mormons choose, but I do have a great deal of respect for them.

Reply to
C G

"Smithfarms Pure Kona" wrote

Which model do you recommend in the Cuisinart?

Reply to
Kevin Nitz

I have a 12-cup Mr. Coffee maker that makes excellent coffee with any brand of coffee--two pots a day. I paid only $16 for it 6 years ago.

Reply to
Phisherman

I live in the Mormon capital of the world and was raised Mormon, I definitely not ignorant. Lets clarify ignorance, unknowing! You must be ignorant if you think that Mormons don't drink soda, I can think of

50 people who are Mormon that drink soda. I know wonderful people who are Mormons and drink soda and cuss too. The only difference is they use Flipping for the F-word. Does this make them a self-righteous jerk ? NO! You and I are in agreement, we are not Mormon and respect them as people. Brass Tacks ... This guy posting religious beliefs, which are not inherent to the Mormon congregation as a whole, in unassociated newsgroups Stereotypes Mormons and that's my point. I'll risk $50 bucks by betting that this dork drinks coke or Pepsi of whatever variety and doesn't consider it a strong drink.

As far as the Bunn-0-matic ? I would trash it and buy a maker that uses #4 cone shaped filters and a thermo carafe. The burner ruins the taste after 15 minutes.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Scalding Mormon

You can make good coffee in just about anything. The only key is to not drink coffee that has been sitting on a burner. I brew mine in the morning and pour a cup the second it's done and then turn off the burner.

'course - if you like bitter there's nothing like a pot that's been sitting on the burner for half a day.

Reply to
Brad

So, why is it that Mormons don't drink coffee ?

I'm betting that someone took Joseph Smith to a Starbucks and made him drink that acidic crap they claim is coffee, and he just decided that it all was evil.

Reply to
Jimmy

Good physics question! But as I thought about this one, I came to the conclusion that the previous poster may be correct. The coffee pot and the liquid in it absorb heat from the heater. They radiate that heat into the room, cooling the heater in the process. As the coffee is used up or evaporates, there is less mass and surface area to radiate heat away from the heater. Once the pot is completely empty, only the pot itself remains to radiate the heat away. It is a less efficient radiator than a full or partially full pot, so the temperature of the heating element will rise a little. Whether it would actually make a difference in the life of the heating element is a whole other story.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

All summer I thought this idiot was a high school student with nothing better to do. Now it appears he's a dropout with nothing better to do.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

According to Java Man (Espressopithecus) :

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that, yet, somewhat more predictable.

The heater generates a certain amount of heat. The heater will come into equilibrium with the heat dissipation abilities of the "load" (carafe plus liquids). As the heat differential between the heater and ambient goes up, so does the heat dissipation rate (radiation). So, at some point the heat gained matches the heat lost.

Further, water sheds heat, both by simple radiation, but also (at elevated temperatures) by heat-of-evaporation. This predominates in determining the temperature of the carafe.

The effect is so extreme with water that it's virtually impossible to raise the vessel's temperature (assuming reasonable heat conduction, and a glass carafe certainly qualifies) above the boiling point of water. For example, you can boil water in a paper bag over an open flame.

Even below boiling point, water evaporates readily, and the heat-of-evaporation loss is the main determinant of the carafe temperature.

The problem being that once the water evaporates completely, there's no longer the hard-limit of 212F, and the much weaker heat dissipation abilities of the carafe are the only limiting factor (aside from a thermal cutout).

Or, if you're boiling water in a paper bag over an open flame, once the water's gone, _poof_!

All things being equal, the higher temperature you run an element, the shorter the lifespan.

I've also seen "boiled off" carafes shatter or crack.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Don't make the mistake we made by purchasing a Mr. Coffee coffee maker with the 8-cup stainless steel carafe. The box says it's insulated. The whole truth is only the bottom is insulated, the sides are single wall. The Mr. Coffee engineers must think that most of the heat is lost through the bottom of the carafe.

The insulated bottom also means there is no electric warmer to keep the coffee warm. The coffee comes out mildly hot and quickly drops in temperature.

Also, the water tank apparently comes from another model that holds twelve cups. So, to stop you from over filling the tank, they punched a hole at the eight cup level. If you overfill the tank a bit, water runs out of the hole all over your counter top.

Finally, the carafe barely has a lip so the coffee drips down the side like crazy. We hate this thing.

Reply to
Ike

Are you sure? Mine has a glass vacuum bottle inside.

Reply to
Coffeenut

But the OP wasn't talking about a boiled-dry situation, which is obviously what many of us have experienced. Just a small amount of liquid left, "scalding hot." (Of course in this situation, one

*assumes* the pot goes dry frequently, but that wasn't the question.} If there's *some* liquid left in the part of the pot that remains in contact with the warmer plate, doesn't seem as if there'd be a great deal of difference between a full pot and a half-inch. AFAIK, warmer plates aren't particularly sophisticated in the way of generating more heat for a full pot and less for a near-empty one. They just sit there at a constant temperature. The plate being essentially 'cooled' by the radiation/evaporation of a full pot *might* be happier than one that stays at the basic 'warmer' temperature, but what's it there for in the first place? I stick with my recommendation of twin pots for varied tastes, and never mind which wears out first.
Reply to
Frogleg

We don't care about your skull.

Reply to
Yike

My willingness to listen drops dramatically as soon as someone starts promoting or criticizing anyone's religion. I don't think anyone comes here to discuss faith. Please confine your discussions to home repair.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

And how do you like your Cuisinart? Price?

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Your logic is unique, Rick! lol

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Reply to
Trent©

The heating element is manufactured to provide a certain amount of heat. It can NEVER deliver more than it is manufactured to do.

It will eventually burn out...no matter how well it is manufactured.

And...it heats a heating platform. Its not CONNECTED to the heating platform in this particular case...a coffee maker. And the coffee pot sits...or doesn't sit sometimes...on that platform. The platform is heated by the coils.

The heating element is always gonna heat that platform. It makes no difference whether ANYTHING is on that platform. The heating element doesn't care about ANY kind of heat sink.

So...no pot...a full pot...a half-full pot...an evaporated pot...makes no difference. The maximum that the heating element can operate is simply THAT...its maximum. Any heat sink that is on the platform that it is heating simply draws from that output. It can't draw MORE than the heating coil can deliver.

I have a 2-piece slow cooker that works the same way. It makes no difference if I have anything on the 'burner'...which is simply a metal platform with the heating coil underneath. It will heat anything above it...without burning out the coils...even if there is NOTHING above it...except air.