OT What a jenny

Funny how a whole generation grew up during the Great Depression and became successful. And that included blacks and other minorities. Then for 50 years we poured trillions into welfare programs that paid people to have more kids and to not have a father around. Imagine if that money had been left with the taxpayers, how many jobs it would have created, the improved economy that would have benefited everyone. But Democrats never learn, idiots like Ying Yang want to just give everyone $12K a year.

Reply to
trader_4

That is unusual if it is true.

I suspect the old union guys that dominate your trades are racist. You don't have much of that in a right to work state. People can do anything they are capable of without kissing the ring of the local union boss.

Reply to
gfretwell

There is no "bad thing". It's oil for Christ's sake. It's oil that's already being produced, already being transported across America by rail. Moving it by pipeline is safer, releases far less CO2 and other pollutants. It's coming from Canada, our ally. When Trump screwed Canada and it's people with his trade war BS, woaaah, that was horrific according to you. But your guy just screwed them, did something even worse, and here you are defending it. After all, he's a Democrat, so it's OK.

That's fine BEFORE you give approval and construction is under way. Now it just showed that the US is like Cuba, where the govt can just decide to take your investment.

Pathetic. It's an oil pipeline, not a war. And this is a good example of how unreasonable, uncaring and stupid Democrats are too. It would have been very easy for Biden to leave this alone. To decide not to kill thousands of good, high paying jobs in the middle of a terrible economy. To decide that it's wrong to screw investors, to screw Canada. To move toward the middle with some cooperation, demonstrating that he is reasonable, not a radical. Showing Republicans and the country that maybe he can bring us together. Instead he sided with the crazy extremists.

Reply to
trader_4

You're really something. I pretty much agreed with your observation, but suddenly NJ has racist unions? And there is no requirement to be a member of a union here to be an HVAC guy, plumber, etc. Most of the HVAC plumbers/electricians are small, family owned businesses. And I strongly suspect that in 2021 if any union was excluding people because of race, they would be in big trouble and under investigation.

Reply to
trader_4

You are the one who pointed to the paucity of Latinos in skilled trades up there. I just threw out an idea. There are plenty of ways to virtually exclude a group without doing it overtly. Perhaps Joyce or Bob will expand on that.

Reply to
gfretwell

From what I've read and heard, those "thousands of high paying jobs" were actually about 1000 temporary jobs, none of them coming with high pay.

I wonder if you feel the same way about the wall on the southern border. That, too, should be completely shut down and jobs will be affected.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

It also costs a lot less to live here. That sort of works out. Housing is a big chunk of that.

Reply to
gfretwell

OK, let's just look at it from the environmental aspect

KEYSTONE PIPELINE vs TRAIN vs SHIP TO MOVE OIL These numbers were Fact-Checked with Google:

1 Train has 100 cars, 2 engines and weighs 27,240,000 LBS. 1 Train carries 3,000,000 gallons of oil. 1 train uses 55.5 gallons of diesel per mile. It takes 119,000 gallons of diesel to go 2150 miles from Hardidsy, AB to Freeport, TX. Keystone pipeline was to deliver 34,860,000 gallons of oil per day. It would take 12 trains and 1,428,000 gallons of diesel to deliver that amount. PER DAY! 521,220,000 gallons of diesel per year. The oil will still go to market with or without the pipeline. By stopping the pipeline billions of gallons of diesel will be wasted and pollute needlessly. Stop the Tar Sands all together? Then we must ship the oil from the overseas sandbox. 1 large oil tanker can haul 120,000,000 gallons of oil 1 boat takes 15 days to cross the Atlantic. 1 boat uses 63,000 gallons of fuel PER DAY, that is about 1 million gallons of the most polluting type fuel in the world PER TRIP.*(See below) Or take 3.5 days of Keystone Pipeline to move the same amount of oil with a fraction of the pollution. *In international waters ship emissions remains one of the least regulated parts of our global transportation system. The fuel used in ships is waste oil, basically what is left over after the crude oil refining process. It is the same as asphalt and is so thick that when cold it can be walked upon . It's the cheapest and most polluting fuel available and the world's 90,000 ships chew through an astonishing 7.29 million barrels of it each day, or more than 84% of all exported oil production from Saudi Arabia.

I'm sure you stopped reading by now.

Reply to
gfretwell

Duh. If a fool will support a whole war based on jobs, then how much easier is it to support an arguably mistaken pipeline because of jobs.

You really will grasp an any straw you can find.

You're going to blame Democrats for what I said.

And worse yet, nothing you said takes issue with what I said. The whole rest of your post is about jobs, and not a word about whether the pipeline is a good idea or not.

They are all big boys. The investors knew there was risk when they started and they and Canada could tell from the lawsuits that it wasn't for sure.

Biden is not a radical. You ought to know that by now.

They should keep building the Mexico wall for sure, because of the jobs it creates, and if the Mexico wall is not wanted, they should find some place, say in Kansas, to build a big wall. You don't want to separate east Kansas from west Kansas so you could have openings wherever there was a road or sidewalk or stream or path, but the important thing is to hire people for jobs.

Reply to
micky

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 06:08:01 -0800 (PST), trader_4 posted for all of us to digest...

Redistribution of wealth. If someone gets $12K a year where does it come from (assuming the gov't press' aren't involved) the taxpayers. The taxpayers have less money so they spend less, inflation starts, growth stops. So if you are making $48K a year your income just got cut by 1/4. Look at the Carter years, do you want to repeat them? I don't.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 06:03:42 -0800 (PST), trader_4 posted for all of us to digest...

You are making some posts I agree with.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Trump said he wanted to build a wall on the southern border of Colorado. That might be a lot easier than trying to build it along the Mexican border. Hey, maybe every state should have a wall along each of its borders. That would keep the construction jobs going for a while.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Good idea. I'd be a breeze in Michigan. Two relatively short walls and we can keep out both the Ohioans and Wisconsinites.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You still have Indiana and don't forget the boat people. There are several thousand miles of coastline. The main part of the state is surrounded on 3 sides by water bisecting you from the U.P. Maybe you would be more defensible if you let Wisconsin have the U.P. ;)

Reply to
gfretwell

A couple of fast gun boats should take care of that. Snowmobile patrols once it freezes. Would keep the Canadians out too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd be happy to reverse the outcome of the Toledo War, now that the mines of the U.P. are no longer an economic powerhouse.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I doubt Indiana will invade. When I was working there the dialog went

Q. Why isn't Indiana flooded. A. Michigan sucks more.

We have natural walls. A few machine gun emplacements on the passes would keep the trash out. There are some good choke points on the road that follows the Clark Fork if blowing the bridges doesn't do the trick..

Reply to
rbowman

You would miss Iron Mountain...

Reply to
rbowman

Would I? I see it has a bocce ball tournament. Pity I don't play.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!

More jobs. The Michigan Navy. The Michigan Naval Academy. Professors, deans, michipmen, ensigns all the way up to captains, the Detroit Naval Shipyard, torpedo factories, machine gun factories, enough to use all the empty factory space in Detroit. JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!

It's not so important whether it's a good idea or not. It's that it makes jobs.

Reply to
micky