OT: We have a new American hero!

Here's a good example of the modern lamestream media:

NBC:

Harrison Ford 'Saved Several Lives' by Avoiding Suburbs in Plane Crash

"Looking at where he crashed and how the plane went down, I'm sure there wa s a moment where he said, 'I'm not going to risk lives, whatever happens, h appens. It's going to be just me,'" said 47-year-old camera assistant Eddie Aguglia, who was playing a round of golf at the time.

"He risked life and limb by putting it down on the golf course instead of t rying to go further to try to get back to the airport," Aguglia told NBC Ne ws.

"The golf course is the place where you could land the safest for the local community and making sure he didn't endanger the people in the local area. "

Never mind that the golf course or similar wide open area is also the safest place for Ford, the place least likely to destroy the plane and kill him, etc. And he didn't risk his life by making that landing, he figured out he couldn't make the airport and that was the best place to make the emergency landing. Hero? Good grief, what rubbish.

Reply to
trader_4

Glad he survived...and yep... since there is no way he could have made it back to the airport, the only logical place to land would have been the gold course.

The reporting is getting absurd. The article I first saw said the plane had flipped and was upside down...even though the accompanying photo showed it right side up.

Reply to
philo

e was a moment where he said, 'I'm not going to risk lives, whatever happen s, happens. It's going to be just me,'" said 47-year-old camera assistant E ddie Aguglia, who was playing a round of golf at the time.

of trying to go further to try to get back to the airport," Aguglia told NB C News.

ocal community and making sure he didn't endanger the people in the local a rea."

There was similar reporting that was nuts about the tuboprop that crashed on take-off from Taiwan last month, but that was mostly Asian media. They were citing the pilots as heroes for putting the plane down in the river, instead of hitting apartment buildings, etc. The river was the only logical place that was best for them, the passengers and people on the ground. Even worse, from all indications so far, the pilots

*caused* the crash. They had a problem with one engine just after take-off. Instead of shutting down the failed engine, they shut down the remaining good engine. That is what caused the crash, not the initial engine failure. How they could be heroes when they caused it, IDK.
Reply to
trader_4

Instead of shutting down the failed engine, they shut down the

That is a sure sign of panic.

Reply to
philo

My favorite is how many tell of the WWII vintage (which is right) but then call it a jet (which ain't even close.)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Messerschmitt did have a jet developed for WW-II but the engine turbines were only good for one flight (or something like that).

Reply to
philo

I was heaping scorn on the media for saying that when the photo clearly shows props. Including some in the cutline for above mentioned photo.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Why aren't the commentators pointing out that the best place to land is a golf course if you need the immediate services of a doctor?

Reply to
Frank

The news people today probably never hear of WW-II anyway.

Reply to
philo

e was a moment where he said, 'I'm not going to risk lives, whatever happen s, happens. It's going to be just me,'" said 47-year-old camera assistant E ddie Aguglia, who was playing a round of golf at the time.

of trying to go further to try to get back to the airport," Aguglia told NB C News.

ocal community and making sure he didn't endanger the people in the local a rea."

LOL. And there was at least on doctor there too. I'm surprised at the extent of the damage. From the first shots from a distance, it didn't look so bad. But closer up the damage was pretty bad and looks like Ford has a broken pelvis among other injuries. A lot of those small prop plane landings on a golf course or similar, there is little or no damage, no injury, etc. And CA being in a drough crisis, you wouldn't think the fairway would be soft from a lot of rain or irrigation either.

A lot just depends on luck too. That airplane at LaGuardia could have been a real disaster if it had skidded off the runway earlier while it still had more speed. Then it likely would have gone into the water.

Reply to
trader_4

But what if there was a schoolyard and kids playing. He saved those lives too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've often wondered why America needs heroes.

Can't think of a Brazilian hero, offhand, though hundreds died under torture for the country. Pele ? No, he's just a joke out here .... []'s

Reply to
Shadow

It's sad when a country has no heroes. Maybe we can send you some....

Reply to
trader_4

We don't need any, and you obviously have more than you need. But thanks for the offer. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

We got this short haired dark complected guy who might pass for Brazillian. He's revitalized the economy, brought gender awareness to the military. Brought gentleness to the border, roughness to the airports in the form of TSA. Cut the deficit, cut the national debt, increased spending in schools. Lowered the unemployment to

5.5%, and taken weapons out of the hand of law abiding and banned ammo.

Should fit right in, you'll love him.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have always been in favor of guns in the hands of the public. Swiss model. Military are a pain in the ass, there is always the chance they will turn on you, militia are far more reliable. They are your brother, your neighbor, your school buddies and your best man at you wedding.

Lowering unemployment, increasing spending in education (and you certainly need that, the US government spends more on educating chimps than it does people - and look at the result). But I thought the debt Bush left behind was un-payable. Are you sure this is not yet another "Indiana Jones" legend ? Like I said, no one needs heroes, and I feel sorry for those that think they do. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Another classic example of either total ignorance or lying.

Page #4, it shows annual expenditures on education at all levels, per student.

USA is #1, $15,000 per student

Brazil is at the bottom of the list, $2,000

Spending for primary education:

USA $10,000

Brazil $2,000

Doh!

While you're a total loon, you share some things in common with the libs here in the USA. You think that the solution to any problem is just more money.

Bush? What about OBama? Bush added ~$5bil to the debt over 8 years. Obama has added $7tril in just 6 years and is still adding another $.5tril *each year*. Obama is in office and could change things. Bush has been gone for 6+ years. In 2007, Bush had the deficit down to just $160bil. It had been declining for several years. And that was with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan both raging near their peaks. Now one war is over, the other almost over. The recession ended 5 years ago. Obama even got his big tax increase. So why oh why are we seeing deficits of $.5 tril now, a level that pre-Obama would have been considered horrific? And why has median family income also gone down by $6K? That didn't happen under Bush.

Reply to
trader_4

A teacher here gets 700 dollars a month( and I mean "high" school , not a "primary" school teacher. Does that tally with the US ? If so, thats's a pretty fair comparison. Well done !!! []'s

Reply to
Shadow

I know he didn't hit me. I'm grateful. What a guy.

Well it's not his fault.

ABC news played some video calling him a hero too.

Reply to
micky

[...]

{{{

The thing about an engine out failure you are NOT goinfg to be able to 'streach' the gulide. The rest depends on skill.

Reply to
NotMe