OT: V8 H2 engine

Love the extra water expense needed to flush twice to get it to the curb and not clog the pipe, not to mention to stop the bowl from stinking!

1+

If a subsidy was involved, mean you hit your neighbors over the head with threat of losing their freedom and/or their property to buy politically dictated stuff, then I smell a YUGE rat.

That is right you cannot subsidize or legislate technology.

Saw a Scotty Kilmer video the other day where he said everyone he knows that installed subsidized solar cell installations for their homes says they regretted it as not savings in electricity developed due to deterioration of the equipment and the roofs they were put on.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

So do you have a car with no seat belts, air bags, ABS, cat converter and get 8 mpg on leaded gas? Glad you can keep that 1960s car running.

My toilet works just fine and keeps my water bill low. Ye, some of the early models were not good but the present ones work fine and would be my choice.

Agree on the EV subsidy though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Even President Trump states that we need regulations to protect the public. There is such a thing as going too far with those on power trips. We need to look at each regulations to see if it does more harm than good. You listed some good ones.

Leaded gas took far too long to remove. Too much corruptions involved.

How far is your line to the curb? You 1.2 gal per flush?

Stand on your own or go back to the drawing board and come up with something that will.

That's bullshit. None of those I know have regretted it and my sister and BiL are on their second set of panels because they were very early adopters and now have a battery as well. The first set of panels were still working well but it made sense to replace them with more much more powerful panels now that they are so much cheaper than they were.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

The panels do have a limited lifespan and their efficiency does deteriorate with time.

What kind of battery storage system do they have?

Had a customer with rows on panels in his back 40. A entire room the size of a small house to house the batteries and controls. It worked awesome.

But it was far from cheap. And he never really did break even. It was very useful when the power went out. And it worked through a 105 mph wind storm the took the whole valley's power out for days. As I said: awesome.

He told me it would have been far cheaper to get a natural gas backup generator. I WANT ONE!

Frank, you need to vet your sources. Who is Scott Kilmer? Oh, he's a car mechanic. Yeah, an expert on solar installations for sure.

I've installed two solar electric systems. The investment is returning 10 to 15% per year, the first paid for itself in six years (and will continue to return 15% per year for the next twenty or so), while the second will pay for itself in seven years. In both cases, I timed the installation with the regular roof maintenance to insure the roof will outlast the panels and to integrate the panel mounting systems into the roofing while it was being applied.

In both cases, the panels generate enough to cover annual usage.

The total electric company bill for both systems last year was $100.00.

Look at it as an investment with a guaranteed return for a quarter century. And the return will grow as electric prices increase.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sounds like you have a stupid family. Do you know what those batteries cost and what it cost to replace them? Look it up. Lifetime is short.

Only guy I know with solar panels had to sue the guy that put them on because of damage to his roof.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My brother just got a natural gas backup generator installed. Cost over $10,000 but gives him peace of mind. These things are selling like hot cakes and it took about 8 months to get it.

I looked at the solar systems with battery and pointed out to the stupid family that they should look up maintenance costs.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, but that wasn't the reason they went for new panels.

One of the Tesla PowerWalls from memory.

Yeah a mate of mine did it that way, using the massive great lead acid batteries out of telephone exchanges.

I do have a gasoline powered generator but since I got it maybe 10 years ago, we haven't had a power outage.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

No, my Subaru Crosstrek has all the bells and whistles and safety features and currently reads 30 mpg with suburban driving.

With a well, I have no water bill. I do like today's current toilets as better for the septic but I had replace the old ones that were deteriorating well past the time that the new toilets were a PITA and people were driving to Canada to buy the old ones.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You need to read more carefully - he didn't say they replaced the batteries, just the panels (which are less than half what they used to cost, and more efficient as well).

It's an investment with a monthly return.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They stupidly believe they are saving the planet.

Yes, those batteries don't.

They didn't do it for cost saving reasons.

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

Almost everyone I know has solar panels except me and only one had a problem with the installation. I haven't bothered because I have realised that I will never spend my vast accumulated wealth before I die.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

The problem is the way they are sold. You can get a good reliable setup but you pay for it all. OTOH, the telemarketers are selling cheap equipment and they are making the money, not saving you any.

I'd not put it on a roof more than a few years old too. The system has to be removed to re-roof when the time comes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mine are 1.6. Last house was about 200 feet, this one about 100 feet. The ones at work varied from 75 to 300 feet.

We did have one installed about 30 years ago at work and yes, it was a PITA but the replacement about 10 years ago worked fine. All are the "comfort height" and I think that helps.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

weekend to play golf and play "king of MargoLardo".

While Biden drives home.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

ANd an ASS of a mechanic too!!!! He's wrong more often than he's right (and yes, that is the opinion of a REAL mechanic - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They do save what you no longer have to buy from the electricity supplier.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

The SS doesn't get to decide what a president can do.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

Biden flies home and does it about every other weekend. He flies to the Wilmington airport about ten miles from his home here and messes up traffic. Immediate neighbors are not too fond of him. I live about 6 miles from his house. Just missed the tail end of one of his motorcades when he was campaigning from his basement and most days going back and forth between his home and the river front. One day I recall seeing maybe 20 state police cars on the road leading to his house.

Reply to
invalid unparseable