My garage door keeps shutting harder

The door to the garage has three hinges. The top hinge seems to be a special hinge. It makes the door to the garage from the house shut harder. But it's getting harder and harder and harder over the years. Now it's too hard.

Is that top hinge thing adjustable? How?

I don't see any adjustment screws.

Reply to
John Robertson

Two types shown in these vodeos :

My house-to-garage door has a chain-spring mechanism to self close - I assume it's for CO safety reasons. John T.

Reply to
hubops

The Bommer says it will change tension depending on the season. The Bommer says that there is a tension rod & a tension pin. You use the tension rod to release tension and then you move the tension pin to a different hole.

The Hager says their self closing door hinge has a hex at the top. You twist the hex and then insert the hex pin.

Mine is a Stanley. It has what appears to be a pin at top and a set screw at bottom. It has a hex on top though. So it's closest to the Hager.

But the next question is can you adjust while on the door?

Reply to
John Robertson

hubops

A hex wrench sets the top of the top hinge tension by CW or CCW clicks. CW = increase tension CCW = decrease tension (push down & twist to remove tension)

I'm guessing I want to decrease the tension as it shuts too hard now.

The video didn't discuss what the pin is doing at the top of the hinge. Or the set screw at the bottom of the hinge.

But I think I have enough now to be dangerous! thanks!

Reply to
John Robertson