OT. USA Made Cell Phone

Just in case someone is curious there is such a critter.

. Privacy is supposed to be a high priority for them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Good price.

Reply to
Thomas

Is it? Starting at $1999 is double most other major brands but you can get one for $129. .

Reply to
Ed P

My phone has 128GB, 4 time as much, for a lot less than $1999.

I don't think you can get by with 32GB these days, unless you really use your phone just to make calls. The OS itself would have taken up almost all of the 32GB memory capacity.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My Sarcasm emoji was needed.

Reply to
Thomas

I see battery life is atrocious, maybe 5 hours. It also uses Linux OS instead of Android that most are familiar with.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I see battery life is atrocious, maybe 5 hours. It also uses Linux OS instead of Android that most are familiar with.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Very poor battery life and Linux OS.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"We use US companies with US fabrication whenever possible. Most distributors are based in the US with the exception of large integrated circuits that are made in a variety of countries where those companies do fabrication (US, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan); an example is the NXP CPU we use from their fabrication in South Korea. While we source chips that are made in the US whenever possible, chip country of origin is not nearly as meaningful as country of board fabrication, especially when all chips are verified hardware circuits that are driven by free software in the kernel."

Wow, most distributors that they buy parts from are based in the US. That's reassuring. Distributors are just that, companies that source product in volume from wherever and resell it. The large ICs are made in a variety of countries. When you look at a cell phone, that's essentially what the core of it is, a few high density ICs. And that the countries of chip origin are not nearly as meaningful as where the board is fabricated is laughable too. A wife of a friend of mine bought an overpriced phone like this from a company selling phones for nuts that were worried about security. After paying and waiting nearly a year, she got her money back. I wonder how many people buy this for $1900 when you can buy a similar phone for $150?

Reply to
trader_4

This phone is for those people who can afford to buy $500 hammer.

This phone is vary safe because with only 32GB and Linux OS, there will be no room for malicious Android apps that can be installed to spy on you. It will be as safe as using a simple flip-phone, but for a lot more money and a much shorter battery life.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I use iPhones-- but sure as hell wouldn't shell out four figures for the newest and shiniest model. When I need a new phone, I buy one a couple of models back for just a few hundred bucks. Currently have a $249 iPhone 11-- new-in-the-box, one year Apple warranty

The older models are fully capable phones-- the very same ones those early-adopters lined up around he block at the Apple store the night before the release date just a few years ago. Yeah, yeah, I know they're missing the newest "features."

But hey, do you really need five lenses on the camera, a half terabyte of storage for those stupid cat videos, or a snap-out carabiner attachment if you suddenly need to repel down a cliff face ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett