Why do they put those stupid bulb carburetor gasoline primers on small engine motors?

Why do they put those stupid bulb primers on small engine motors?

I hate small engine bulb gasoline carburetor primers.

  1. They break within just a few years of use.
  2. When they break, you can't start the motor.

Is there anything I can REPLACE the bulb primer with that will work?

Reply to
Lars Anders

Starting fluid if you're careful. Larger gasoline engines had chokes to cut the air flow to do the same thing a primer does. Enriching the air/gas mixture is the goal. Is the air intake on your engine easily plugged? Stick a sock in itas they say.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That's surprising because I checked in the owners manual parts list and they're $25 each. Do the ones on Amazon fit everything? How do they know?

Reply to
Lars Anders

Follow the carburetor science:

FWIW, I don't think Steve drinks Bud Light.

Reply to
Skid Marks

+1
Reply to
trader_4

Mine (Toro) still works after 25 years. Maybe you just bought a cheaply made mower?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's how I know they're $25 each, at least from the manufacturer.

They're not just the bulbs. They have a black plastic clip. And two different length hoses (one for the incoming fuel & the other to the carb).

Are all the bulbs are the same when they have those black clips & 2 hoses?

Reply to
Lars Anders

Thanks for your help. I replaced the bulb which had a long and short hose connection and which had to be broken out of the chassis to disconnect.

It's all back together now though, so I appreciate your advice. The old bulb was so yellow I forgot these things are supposed to be clear.

Reply to
Lars Anders