Curious phone charge, OT

I never spend money beyond the fixed charge on my mobile so I was curious to see where £0.29 for 5 secs. had gone.

08443762820 gets lots of hits on Google but it was billed as an outgoing call! I vaguely remember an incoming spam which I exited as fast as possible but cannot imagine any reason why I might call that number.

Not particularly young, low tech Sharp mobile.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some phones are prone to dialling the last number that called when they jiggle about in pocket/handbag. SWMBO often calls me that way on her ancient Nokia.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Unlikely as this is a *clamshell* cover phone. Looking back through incoming and outgoing calls there is only the one. No one else has access to this phone.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Talking of ancient nokias, we have one on pay as you go at our office as there is no phone and we do not make calls. However the credit seemed to be going down when it was locked into a drawer. to cut a long story short, after a lot of messing about the company sid it was data usage. Now as you will realise a Nokia of the vintage has no data capapability. they gave us a new number and its not happened since, so question is, can somone else piggy back onto a phone even without access to the sim. My suspicions are with the company themselves own employees, but of courrse its unprovable and they did give us a generous credit on the new sim.

Makes you wonder though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

does it have tiny little buttons where it's easily possible to push the one next to the one you are actually pushing?

I accidentally made a call last week as I was trying to scroll up/down the list

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That would make sense, with the call being terminated after 5 seconds when he closed the phone to put it away. If it had been a private number it probably wouldn't have shown up because it wouldn't have been answered, but these companies "answer" the call as soon as you dial the number and play you a message. He's lucky it wasn't a Smartphone, the call could have carried on until he noticed it next time he got the phone out.

My GP surgery does this, instead of just letting it ring until someone answers, it answers the call, plays the "press 1 for..." message and apologises for nobody being available. It makes sure you get charged from the moment you press the last digit of their phone number, to half an hour later when a person answers.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

In message , tim..... writes

Umm.. the number would have to be on the contacts list and this one certainly is not!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Brian Gaff writes

This is actually a Sharp 770SH and until the current contract had no data. Vodaphone *gave* me 250Mb (which I do not want) and pushed up the price.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

you said you had received it as an incoming call/text

the mistaken call that I made was to the most recent incoming call

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , tim..... writes

Sorry, should have been more clear. The billing was for an outgoing call on 30/06/13. On checking incoming calls, the only *number withheld* call was much more recent and there were no calls at all on that date. I suppose simple miss billing does occur but Google identifies this one as a *cold caller*.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A withheld might not replace the number in the last calls list and that list doesn't have a time out. So the number could have called weeks ago but still being top of the list.

You could play to find out if a withheld number does or doesn't replace the top number in any list.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Number withheld calls are listed like any other.

I suppose a *missed call* and finger trouble could do this but they would have to have left a number.

I was a bit twitchy after reading the various reports of that number but I suppose if you are marketing a website claiming to put a stop to cold calls you would make any queried number sound as bad as possible.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yeah but if you call up the list and dial what does it do? The first available number or tell you it can't dial as it doesn't have a number?

Remember there maybe a "quickdial" key press that you haven't discovered yet. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would have to highlight it and then press the call button or scroll through the options.

Likely. The phone was passed down from S-i-L with no handbook.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's pretty standard for call centres.

I once had a slidephone that used to make calls on its own even when closed with the keypad locked.

Reply to
Mark

In message , Graham. writes

You mean like the bloke caught out shagging his mistress when his mobile accidentally called his wife part way through

Reply to
bert

In message , Mark writes

I worked on one of the early digital PABXs. It had a habit of calling the local Tescos and when they answered connected them through to the resident company director. Not a happy bunny. Early digital switchboards were not good at emulating a Plan 7

Reply to
bert

If you look at the recent calls history on the phone, is that number listed there?

Reply to
Toby

Maybe a similar thing happened to me. I was making a bank transfer to a new person and automated Lloyds bank rang my mobile, I was supposed to bring up the keyboard but I didn't know how, I guessed a button on phone (wrong) and next thing an operator from Lloyds has cut in to ask the problem. I explained I didn't know how to use the phone so would do it on the landline instead. Next bill came in ~£2.40 for phoning an 0845 number. Well I never dialed that number but by touching a button on my phone it seems I was redirected. lesson learned.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk