OT The right thing to do

Great post. Spot on!

My granny had a sayin' to describe something beyond despicable:

"That looks like something the cat drug home that the dog wouldn't eat."

Reply to
HeyBub

About 30 percent of the advice she gives is excellent. About 30 percent is good but the kind of advice one can get from almost anyone.

And about 40 percent is bad, including half of that (20%) which could ruin someone's marriage, hir relationship with hir chilren, parents, sibings, could ruin hir life.

It's nice that she has a Ph.D. in physiology, but that doesn't qualify her to give advice and she shouldn't use the title on her show. I'm sure it misleads many listeners.

It's scarey that so many people think she gives good advice.

Reply to
mm

Just curious: Would your opinion be the same if, instead of an ATV, dad was taking the son to the rifle range? Skydiving? Spelunking? Fire-walking? At what point does involving a child, with adult supervision, become unacceptable?

Reply to
HeyBub

It's not that hard to enforce a judgment against someone with any money. She knows where they live and what their names are. They probably own their own cars, or at least have 75 dollars of equity in one of them. The marshall or sheriff will seize the entire car and not give it back until they have paid the 75 and costs.

When I sued the body shop, they had already fired the manager who messed me up, and they also didnt' show up, so I won whatever I could prove. Then they didn't pay so I called up and reminded him, nicely, and I got a check 2 weeks later. Otherwise, and I'm not saying this was his reason for paying, but he knew it, I could have had the marshall seize one of their essential body shop machines, like the tow truck. The marshall probably has a big vote on what he seizes, but he has more experience anyhow.

Reply to
mm

I know that. But Usenet servers purge old posts eventually, so spam and discussion of spam only takes up extra space temporarily. Same for most individuals' computers.

It's only google groups that keeps them, so far, forever. They store spam posts for long periods.

It's also a storage area for recent and old posts.

Your difference is not related to what I said.

Reply to
mm

Never had any problem with the series of neighbors to my left, with whom I share a wall. Until the last one. He wanted the vines off my house, said that rats and snakes would live in them. He was from the Carribean where that was probably true, but it's not true here. He wanted all the stuff out of the fenced in area in front of my kitchen, which only he could see and only when he was smoking right on the other side of the fence.

And he was pushy in the way he did it. And wouldn't give me his phone number.

Anyhow, he and his wife split up so they had to sell the house. Lost about 25% of what they paid 2 years ago at the top of the bubble.

Now I have a new neighbor, single, pretty, blonde, in her 20's. So I can take her out, I've resolved to lose 50 pounds and 30 years. I'm looking for two effective reduction plans.

I'm also trying a lot harder to be quiet late at night, and I keep thinking it's for the nonsense reason so she will really like me, but deep down I'm sure I just don't want to fight with a second neighbor.

(I actually don't think she can hear me. In 26 years, I've barely heard a peep out of any neighbor, and never the tv in the bedroom. Surely some of them watched tv in the bedroom.)

Reply to
mm

I'd never had a problem with a shoe, so I once bought really cheap sneakers at k-mart a week or two before I went on a 3-week foreign vacation that grew into 5 weeks.

I walked almost all day every day, and every day I got blisters. I would have to wear hiking boots the next day, but they were the wrong size too, bought one day before I left, so I got more blisters. Thankfully, in different places, so all the blisters had a day to heal. None popped.

The sneakers though also smelled terrible when they were off. No other shoe had ever done that. But I didnt' want to take the time to go shopping.

Reply to
mm

I bought more sneakers at K-mart just last month but haven't worn them enough to know if there are problems. They look nice and were cheap. I really can't believe they'll smell bad like those others did. It's wasn't foot smell, it was something in the sneakers.

Reply to
mm

I believe what was meant was "payment up front".

Reply to
mm

We have had two dogs that chewed a lot - one a puppy that outgrew the habit and one an adopted female dog with other bad habits. The adult also liked to run off and with small children in and out often, she would bolt when they opened the door. She was a really sweet dog, but being a pointer, she wanted to be IN the water, no matter where :o) If I had a dog with bad habits, I would emphasize it to guests or sitters. Schnauzers bark like mad at guests until guests bend over and pet them. Had two that did that, but their bark is piercing and it is not a "pet me" sound. As a factory nurse, I did a dressing change once for a guy with a dog bite on his calf. While I was changing the dressing, he remarked, "I knew I should have petted that dog." I asked him what kind of dog. Schnauzer. S's also do not like physical contact - snapped at kids twice while they were playing and wrestling. Poodles are vastly different...ours would sit down and pose every time we had a camera in hand.

Reply to
norminn

At any age that you turn the activity entirely over to the child without them being mentally, physically, or emotionally capable of handling it.

My grandpa gave me .22 rifle when I was eight, and he looked me in the eyes, and said, "This is yours. But until you are old enough, your dad has to take you to shoot it." Dad did. And I took it countless times without Dad knowing.

Putting a kid on a set of skis, on an ATV, on a snowboard, even on a bike involves great risk. Some kids can do things at a very early age. Each parent has to evaluate if the child is ready. But the activity, and the circumstances involved in the child doing the activity entirely out of the control of the parent has to be weighed.

i.e. it's different when a parent takes their child skiing rather than letting the child go alone. Some parents let their children do fireworks alone. And sometimes the kids do it alone on their own. And either way, sometimes things happen.

And shit happens. I'm 61, and a year ago July 4th, I flipped my ATV and broke my back. Been riding motorcycles and ATVs for decades.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I agree that the parents should have offered to pay for some/all of the cost of the shoes. And if they *knew* the dog was a chewer, they should have warned her. However, it's possible that they didn't foresee this happening.I have an 8 yr old dog that doesn't (or didn't) bother shoes. About a month ago, I left a closet door open and she chewed a shoe. It's definitely not something I'd expected, but maybe it smelled particularly "good", just as this sneaker might have. It *could* be that the parents really didn't anticipate this so it never occurred to them to warn her. Maybe they didn't anticipate the sitter taking her shoes off; maybe they put their own shoes away. I know people who are sticklers for putting shoes etc away (not me!), and can see where those people probably would think it was her fault for leaving them out and maybe even served her right. Maybe they do the same with their kids, as in "if you had put your toys away, the dog wouldn't have chewed them"). I'm not saying that the parents behavior as described was appropriate, just that in their minds they really might have thought they were reacted normally.

In any case I do also agree that it's probably better for the sitter not to work there again, as they most likely have a different mind set on other things. I think she should mention this to other potential sitters, just so they are prepared. You have to wonder if the reason they keep calling is that previous sitters have also written them off...

Reply to
Lee B

How do you know they have plenty of money? They could be up to their eye balls with student loans, a mortgage, etc.

How do you know they are not decent people? You have only heard one side of the story. Are you clairvoyant?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Whether they knew their dog was a chewer or not, the family is responsible for the damage the dog does, unless they warned your daughter in advance not to leave her things where the dog could get at them.

It has cost your daughter 75 dollars to learn they cannot be trusted to be fair and to accept their responsibilities. She probably also has learned they are not the only ones who treat others shamefully.

If they ask her to sit again, she should politely decline without referring to the incident.

In your place, I would give your daughter the money to replace the shoes. Not because you feel sorry for her, but because she need not be shoeless to have learned the lesson.

I'm assuming your daughter lives at home with you, that she is working and paying at least part of her own way, that she is going to school, she has goals for her life,

I have a teenager. I would give a great deal if mine was like yours.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Two doctors meaning physicians and they're quibbling over $75.00? What happened? I thought Obamacare didn't pass. If my dog damaged someone's property, I would feel obligated to pay for the damage. It appears from your description that your daughter is a wonderful young woman. Everyone should be so lucky.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I doubt very seriously that the wonderful young woman as described by her mother would do such a horrible thing. I would simply get a radio controlled electric shock training collar to put on the dog when the parents are gone. She could watch the children and train the dog at the same time. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had a Weimaraner "who" thought he was a person, cat or dog on different days. He did not chew up shoes, instead, he would pull the insole out of the shoe and chew that up. Yum, Vieux-Boulogne.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I like working for myself, I can fire customers without notice.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas