OT: Texas teen electrocuted after apparent cell phone mishap in bathtub

This story seems rather fishy to me. I cannot imagine how a cell phone charger, plugged into a wall outlet and supplying a maximum of 12vdc at 1.5 amps (turbo charger), could electrocute a human being. Maybe if it was plugged into an extension cord, but that was not indicated in the article.
Anyone else have an educated take on this?
Texas teen electrocuted after apparent cell phone mishap in bathtub
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-teen-electrocuted-after-cell-phone-falls-into-bathtub/
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 9:40:49 AM UTC-7, Stormin' Norman wrote:

xxx
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/2017 12:40 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

It said the charger fell into the tub. My guess is, the typical charging cord is too short to reach a tub so it was plugged into an extension cord. I can see a teenager planning to relax in the tub with her phone and improvising and not thinking of the potential hazard.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That was my first thought (see above), but the article specifically states the charger was plugged into a wall outlet. Of course, reporters are not always precise.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:14:38 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

And that the victim had burn marks on the hand that would have been used to reach the phone. Very strange. I wonder what age that house was, no GFCI? Even with no GFCI, reaching and winding up with burn marks seems odd.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:19:06 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I suppose if she was in the tub and was trying to plug the charger into the wall outlet, her fingers could have come in contact with the hot 120 spade lug on the charger, that would do it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:27:04 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

That certainly could happen, but how do you then explain burn marks? You could get a lethal shock, but I'm having a hard time seeing a current sufficient to make burn marks. It sounded to me like they said she was reaching for the phone on the charger.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:39:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

If the point of entry for the electricity was her finger and if her arm and hand were wet, I can see the power traveling along and causing a burn on her hand, can't you?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:43:23 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

No, not typically. You would think the resistance path is still pretty high and that there wouldn't be enough current there, but I guess it's possible. I would think you'd generally need direct prolonged contact with a conductor to get a burn or higher voltage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 11:17:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Being soaking wet, and in contact with a direct source to ground would present a relatively low A/C impedance, if I am not mistaken. Regardless, as we don't have access to the corpse or scene of the accident, I think we have done a fairly good job of coming up with reasonable scenarios.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/2017 10:14 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

It was plugged into a wall outlet - via an extension cord.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:24:09 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Did you read or hear that in a news report? Or are you speculating?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/2017 10:27 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

speculating, of course!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:30:53 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Thanks for clarifying that. As I just wrote in another post, I can see that if she were in a tub of water and was trying to plug in the charger, she could have come into close enough proximity with the hot spade lug of the charger to cause a fatal episode.
It is a shame. I really hate the intense addiction so many people have to these devices.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@schwarzkopf.invalid says...

These devices? Like computers (and newsgroups)? And addicted people... PKB much? LOL!
--
RonNNN

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes Ron, devices like that, but more so, devices like portable smart phones which distract people's attention in very dangerous situations, e.g. driving, walking, bathing, operating dangerous machinery, horseback riding (two of my grand children), cycling, etc.
I know you were trying to be a smartass, but, it was a swing and a miss.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:30:53 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Either that or whoever installed the wall outley didn't fasten it to the wall very well, and didn't have a GFCI breaker (a gfci outlet doesn't do any good if it falls into the water)
Absolutely NO WAY a charger can fall into the tub and still be live UNLESS it is plugged into an extention cord - and even then, if it had a GFCI she would still be alive - and would not have even felt anything.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/2017 4:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Too much missing information. If it was an older home it would not have gfci. It was not code until 1971. No mention of an extension cord. Was she in the tub or just wet?
Teenagers don't always think about water and electricity and its "just a phone".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/2017 3:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, well I have been watching too many back to back episodes of Law and Order to really believe there wasn't foul play involved.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

there, I fixed that for ya, Ed : )
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.