OT: Texas teen electrocuted after apparent cell phone mishap in bathtub



She wasn't electocuted by the 3.7 volt battery or the 5 volts supplied by the charger - and phone chargers NEVER have 120 volt cords. They always plug into a wall mounted outlet unless someone uses an extension cord.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 6:22:42 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If it was an older home it *might* not have a GFCI.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/17 12:40 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Darwin Award.
--
I’m not saying we should kill all the stupid people, I’m just sayin’
let’s remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out….
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/17 12:40 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

According to AP, police now say there was an extension cord involved.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-looking-teen-s-reported-electrocution-cellphone-bathtub-n782011
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, that would wrap it up. Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/17 12:40 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

So sad.
She posted a picture of the ext cord !!!!!! with this text: “When you use [an] extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath.”
http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/24490-police-release-last-text-message-14-year-old-sent-before-she-was-electrocuted-in-bathtub
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Two things are apparent here (beyond stupidity) There was no GFCI on that circuit Nobody told this girl they make USB extension cables.
It does show that bath tubs cure phone addiction.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/18/2017 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I read the Sheriff's report: cord was frayed, outlet was neither GFCI nor grounded.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/19/2017 12:02 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

No excuse for a frayed cord. It should have been repaired or tosses. Grounding or GFCI was not required in older houses. I'm guessing it was built before those codes.
Kids at that age are unaware or don't think about the consequences. At 14 I can imagine my daughter doing that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/19/2017 5:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There are so few instances like this these days, kids don't hear about them and learn from other people's mistakes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 8:48:36 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

-falls-into-bathtub/

plug your

-message-14-year-old-sent-before-she-was-electrocuted-in-bathtub

+1

And while it's not required to be brought up to code, it's still is an excellent idea to put GFCIs in to cover bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor receptacles. It's not much cost or work for a big improvement in safety.

Plenty of adults too. IDK why you'd get in the habit of using the charger in the tub anyhow. My phone I can get enough charge in 15 mins to be able to then use it for an hour of talk. Plus using a cell phone in the tub is likely a bad idea, except if absolutely necessary, just from the possibility of water damage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/19/2017 11:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Sure, but you're not a teenage girl. What if Barbie updated her Facebook page 15 minutes ago and you missed it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 11:45:47 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

b
ne-falls-into-bathtub/

n plug your

xt-message-14-year-old-sent-before-she-was-electrocuted-in-bathtub

I

s

I don't know about you, but I don't consider the frayed cord or lack of GFCI's to be 2 separate "events".
If the family had frayed extension cords lying around, it's not a surprise that they also didn't care/know about GFCI protection or vice versus.
However, the fact that the father is a firefighter/EMT and the step-mom is a nurse, seems somewhat out of sync with not being somewhat safety consciou s.

r
I doubt it was a habit. Based on the texts I get from my kids and the texts I send them, those kinds of texts/pics are more in line with "Look what I just thought of/made/etc."

I agree with the water damage part, but we need to try and think like a 14 year old.
As far as 15 minutes = 1 hour, my phone can do the same thing. That doesn 't mean I haven't been caught with a dead or dying phone just as I am about to start something that I don't want to wait to do. (That's why I have extern al batteries for my phone.)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.