OT Tablet computer?

Anyone have an inexpensive tablet computer that they are pleased with?

Reply to
KenK

Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
clare

A bluetooth keyboard solves that problem

Reply to
clare

Reply to
rbowman

marginally. Very marginally. The keyboard has it's own battery and does the transmitting. The bluetooth reciever is generally on whether you connect to it or not. (can be turned off, but usually defaults ON.)

Reply to
clare

My wife and i have several. Im typing this on a samsung tab e. It is connec ted to my other wireless devices, phone, watch... it is through att so i do pay a 15 buck monthly fee but the tab was free. I like being able to say " hello" whem my phone rings in the other room. Netflix, games, groups like t his one, searching for a car and shopping is done on this one. I have a nextbook that is collecting dust but does the job. Wife is watching tv now on her rca cambio with detachable keyboard and wire less mouse. It is bigger than both my nextbook and this tab e. There is no phone service on it. She also has a nook. No pphone.

One thing to look at is the power cord to recharge. Her nook has a dedicate d cord. She cannot borrow my stuff to charge it and it is not cheap. Whever i am at someone has a charger, not her. Keep that in mind.

Reply to
Thomas

Reply to
Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

I'm typing this on the same tablet that I got for about the same price on eBay last summer (it was a basically unused return). I'm using a small bluetooth keyboard with it.

If you're a linux guy who doesn't mind the command line you can install termux and get the equivalent of a linux box for most purposes.

Reply to
Thomas

I paid $95 Canadian for an 10 inch Android 5.1 (DigiLand). I'm not a fan of Android, myself.. It boots slower than the Blackberry Playbook

Reply to
clare

Acer iconia, good tablet, has a mini HDMI connector, you can connect it to a modern TV.

Reply to
mkolber1

Thanks for the Termux tip. I am actually a Unix guy, but I don't my Linux. Started Unix on PDP 11s. Good old days!

Reply to
Deguza

I have a Lenovo given by wife who paid less than $50. Somewhat of a toy as you don't want to do serious computing or typing with it. Battery life is limited to about 3 hours which is kind of brief. Knew Fire was good but I would not like the Amazon tie being stuck with their stuff.

Reply to
Frank

Thomas wrote in news:7ac73ea3-90f4-4aeb-b4f2- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Mine was Tab e 7 lite.

I tried one of these and returned it. I had a lot of problems with the virtual keyboard. I couldn't type - hunt and peck - letters repeated, wrong letter, etc. Dawned on me too late that maybe I should have use a pencil or pen instead of my finger? Also wouldn't sign in to the net on my wi fi system, though system would accept password. Much trouble getting it to do what I wanted. Just inexperience? Too old for new-fangled gadgets?

Reply to
KenK

Thomas wrote in news:7ac73ea3-90f4-4aeb-b4f2- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

T have an ancient Acer netbook. I'll have to dig it out and try it and see if it works on my wi fi - according to manual supposed to.

Reply to
KenK

I learned touch typing in high school. It is tougher for me to hunt and peck and you cannot touch type on a tablet. My mother could touch type but my father could not and he was a typewriter repairman. Guess he did not need to know how to touch type but just fix them.

I call today's world the Twitterverse where communication is held to 28 characters or so, whatever. Helped kill NG's.

Reply to
Frank