Gutenburg and Ereader/tablet

I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely amazed by it and what it can do, plus the range of freely available books.
I've signed up to my local public library, which gives me access to download books - some are time limited (just like paper library books), others are permanent.
It may need charging up occasionally, unlike a paper book, but its 32Gb to 96Gb of storage allows thousands of books to be available on it.
I've been a bit of a luddite so far as E-readers have been concerned, I just didn't think the experience would be comparable to holding a paper book in your hand, since this one was delivered yesterday - I have certainly changed my mind. It is very usable and very convenient.
Getting back to the range of free books available...
Some of those available go back almost to the middle ages. I expected them to be just scanned images, but all seem to be proper digital texts. I'm guessing they must have used some very capable OCR software to convert these, along with a very patient proof reader.
Mightily impressed!
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
"Harry Bloomfield" < snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
Brian Gaff brought next idea :

It already has a screen reader as part of its default software, I just need to explore its abilities.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Too slow for me.

I'm not
I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my laptop
It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it in when I reach my destination

you should have bought a 7" one ;-)
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
tim..... wrote:

So where do you put your laptop?(which is better you say)

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either
my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here
tim
On 29/03/2015 12:14, tim..... wrote:

No, it won't. It offers improved portability, longer battery life and ease of use - things that don't matter to some. But for many, tablets are a revelation, especially if you read a lot. Wouldn't be without mine, and haven't need to even switch the laptop on in over 2 years.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 29/03/2015 13:38, RJH wrote:

Bit heavy for reading in bed compared to a Kindle?
stuart noble wrote on 29/03/2015 :

My 9" tablet weighs 1 lb. A bit heavier than a paper back, but it can have many thousands of books stored inside it.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Having both a Kindle and a tablet (Hudl 2 - 8.something inch screen). I prefer reading on the Kindle for a number of reasons. I find it a more pleasurable experience the eink screen is for me more easy going to read for extended periods, and I don't really notice the Kindle when I'm reading. With the tablet, I'm sort of always conscious of it. Maybe the weight, the handling, the screen, the possibility of distraction just a click away, not really sure.
Though I do like using the tablet also. Kicking back on the sofa, web browsing, email, playing games, watching iplayer or whatever. Or propped up on the table at breakfast as the alternative to the morning paper. Or by the stove watching something whilst cooking.
If Tim's tablet doesn't fit in his pocket then I can only think he should have got a smaller tablet or he has very small pockets. My Kindle (about the same size as 7 icnh tab)slips easily into an pocket a paperback would fit into (and some where one wouldn't)
--
Chris French

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:38:37 +0100, RJH wrote:

I don't actually use a laptop unless I really have to. I don't work when travelling and I have a desktop everywhere I need one.
Tablets are great little portable sources of information - and amusement! I use mine a lot.
However, I also have what I consider a *proper* e-reader - an e-ink one. That's what I use to read books. Stupidly long battery like and restful to use.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Bob Eager wrote:

    And works in daylight.
says...

I agree with you, however...
After about one year's (heavy) use, my e-Ink reader needs recharging at least every other day, and those claims of 2 months battery life are based on 30 minutes use per day and probably heavily tweeked to give the very best result possible[1]. If you only read for 30 minutes a day, you don't really need an e- reader.
[1] Since most power is used by the backlight & page turns, both will be minimised or at zero.
--
Sam

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 16:49:03 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

My Kindle was still fine and holding a good charge after four years' heavy use. The problem with it was that a button was failing (minor) and also that it had become unacceptably slow although only a third 'full'.

True, although that didn't have a backlight. I have a Kobo Aurora now and I very rarely use the backlight. I tend to read in the same environment I would read conventional books (i.e. there is light). The Kobo seems to last a month and I probably read for a minimum of an hour a day, and often quite a bit more.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
says...

Since this is a DIY group, it might be interesting to decide what steps you could take if you had the job of getting the very best possible result out of one of these battery life tests.
Backlight off, minimal (or no) page turns, underclock processor, optimise temperature, select from a production batch for a battery with the best possible capacity.
--
Sam

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:47:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

One further thing (which the Kobo does) is minimise the 'full refresh' of the screen on every page turn (the thing that makes the screen flash).
Mine is set to do a full refresh every six page turns (it can be altered)...whereas my Kindle does it on every page turn. Result: lower battery use. The minimal downside is that you get faint shadows on the screen but it is not usually notoceable.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

My Kindle Paperwhite is set to not refresh every page (it's not configurable, but I think it's probably about every 6 pages - though don't know if it's fixed or it tries to be clever and do it relation the the use of the screen)
--
Chris French

I have a 2 year old Kindle Paperwhite. I do use the light, as, somewhat slighty counter intuitively the idea is that you turn it up in daylight and down low at night - I have tried it in daytime with light off, but it's a nicer experience with it on.
I don't really know what the battery life is as I don't pay attention to it (which is as it should be) - probably I charger it every couple of weeks
--
Chris French