Computer tower

I broke My mobo some time back and was given a Dell with W8 and all the goodies. I managed to get W10 installed, and after getting used to all the new bells and whistles, it gets the job done. Now I want a fresh computer that is moe compact and it looks like I have several choices in new gear. A laptop, tablet, ETC so what would twist your short and curlies...a laptop or tablet? I have a laptop that came with My data loging software and hardware, and am not willing to use it for any other purpose.

What raises an eyebrow for you???

Reply to
Naturous

You fail to indicate the two most important factors : 1. price 2. what you want it to do

About a year ago, I bought a clean ThinkPad T500 running Win8 Pro, for $ 140. It needed a new battery - ~ $ 40. and it is a super machine for my purposes. It is a bit big for the touchscreen tablet lovers - 15 1/2 inch display but I prefer it. John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca expressed precisely :

I don't care what it costs, and I need it to run My World.

A thinkpad? Thats a little more than I need. A tablet looks fairly good, just as long as it is 10" or better.

Reply to
Naturous

hubops

For me , neither. I want a full size keyboard and a large 20 or more inch screen. Laptops are for carrying around , but for fixed usage I will stay with the desk top unit. I don't see how anyone can get any serious work done on a tablet unless you get one of those with the detachabel keyboard.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

When I was working my company provided us with Lenovo laptops, they held up quite well in an industrial environment so I expect you would do OK with one

Reply to
philo

Given those two choices, I'd opt for the laptop. With a decent screen and fullsize keyboard.

Reply to
Diesel

Have you tried one of those keyboards? I've tried two so far, not impressed. I feel like it's about to break when I go typing away.

Reply to
Diesel

Same for me. It depends on your age and personal preference. Lot of people do their computing on smart phones and I watched someone typing on one the other day. Too dinky for this old guy. A few years ago I bought my wife a laptop so she could use it anywhere in the house. First thing she bought was a full size keyboard and mouse for it. She also got an iPad and bought the keyboard for it but seldom uses it.

I have a cheap tablet and it is cute but nothing to do any serious work on. Programs are truncated because of limited memory.

Reply to
Frank

*iMac Retina*.

In colossal and ginormous.

The idea behind iMac has never wavered: to craft the ultimate desktop experience. The best display, paired with high-performance processors, graphics, and storage ? all within an incredibly thin, seamless enclosure. And that commitment continues with the all-new 21.5?inch iMac with Retina 4K display. Like the revolutionary 27?inch 5K model, it delivers such spectacular image quality that everything else around you seems to disappear. Adding up to the most immersive iMac experience yet ? and another big, beautiful step forward.

GET THE BEST, EAGLE! ;-)

David B.

The only SERIOUS laptop for business use, in my experience, is a Lenovo Thinkpad. High end Toshibas and high end Acers come close, but nothing lasts like a Thinkpad. There are etter "hardened" laptops for industrial use at double or triple the cost.

Reply to
clare

If you really think you NEED a pad, get a Microsoft Surface. Pricy, but it is an excellent pad computer that is also an excellent laptop. I don't count it as a serious business computer although for a "road warrior" with lots of money they ARE an option.

Reply to
clare

Addendum:

A decent usb mouse, too. You probably won't really like the touchpad. I know I don't.

Reply to
Diesel

Your experience must be limited, by a considerable margin then. I like Lenovo, Dell, Acer, etc. But, I'm biased too, in the sense, I like what breaks down the most often. So I can charge to repair it. ROFL. In my experience, servicing (perhaps tens?) thousands machines by now, Acers seem to have one of the lowest hardware failure rates; aside from hard drives and optical drives; which is beyond their control.

The mainboards themselves tend to be well built with good quality control. Toshiba and HP with regard to laptops seems to be quite bad over all. Lenovo isn't as bad, but, like I said, my opinion is biased.

With that said, Dell isn't the best with laptops either, but, I am growing quite fond of this quadcore Dell I've got sitting beside me. To beat all, it was a freebie! It's owner was going to toss it into the trash because their kid got a newer one. It's damn fast running Linux Mint 17.3 KDE edition. I loves it. And, I'm not really a laptop fan. but, this one might actually convert me. heh.

Reply to
Diesel

Depends on your use. Wife and I have two desktops, 3 laptops, 1 tablet.

The tablet is good for reading books and the occasional email. IMO, it is not a computer worth having for anything else.

The small laptops get a lot of use. I have an Acer 11" and use it 80% of the time. If travels easily (right now I'm in a motel). The keyboard is just large enough to type on, I have a mouse for it. Most of all, it sits on my belly when I sit in the recliner and play on newsgroups. It has been in at least 5 countries and is usable in airports.

I use it to cast YouTube music video to the 55" smart TV at home. Check out Hillary Hahn and see why. Tonight it made reservations for tomorrow and ordered dinner for tonight.

We also have a 17" laptop that my wife uses for her sewing stuff. No way would I want to haul it around on a regular basis.

Assess your needs and if you can, try a small laptop.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is it an actual laptop or a netbook? The difference primarily being, lack of an optical drive and limited accessory ports. It may for example, only have one or two usb ports available for your use. It may also be lacking a place to plugin a cat5/6 cable as well. They also tend to use slow rpm wise hard drives due to power concerns.

Reply to
Diesel

It has 3 USB, 1 HDMI and a cable plug in, speaker port. Does not have an optical drive.

I don't do photo editing or drawing on it as I have the big iron when needed. I do email, read the occasional pdf file, newsgroups. The video is cast to a big screen TV It works for me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not sure what I'd have if I were still working and traveling 1-2 months a year.

Today I still do a little on-line in home consulting and stick with Microsoft Windows products to keep in line with clients. I even had to buy MS Office a few years ago because client could not see embedded images in docs prepared on Open Office or Libre Office.

Reply to
Frank

Many notebook computers (formerly known as Laptops) don't have optical drives any more - they use USB3 external drives when required. The diference between a notebook and a netbook has kinda blurred. As for no RJ45, NONE of the apple notebookes have them any more.

Reply to
clare

I have one desktop plugged into the router. Everything else is wi-fi, including printer. I can even email print jobs to the printer from anywhere in the world from any computer or smart phone. Amazing compared to the DOS days. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski